Search This Blog

Saturday, March 03, 2018

Installing A GPS In My Roadtrek Camper

Our 2004 Roadtrek - now with a big GPS
Garmin LMT 60 GPS - above the windshield -
out of view from outside. 
One of the great travel inventions is the GPS - Global Positioning System. It helps traveling so much - both in familiar and unfamiliar areas. So much information is stuffed into that little box - and you can add new stuff all the time.

My two cars have their own GPS's built in. But I prefer the Garmin GPS over the factory installed items - both for price and for updating.

I just bought a Garmin LMT 60 GPS on Amazon for $70. A new one cost about $170 - but a refurb one is only $70. It looks like new - and has a one year warranty. The unit includes free map updates and traffic updates. The GPS in my Honda van costs $150 a year just to update the maps.

One thing I hate about portable GPS's is the wires dangling all over. I also wanted to install it in a spot that you cannot see from outside - I did not want to attract crooks. I did not want it stuck on my windshield. I also wanted it to operate from the house battery - not the engine battery.

1. My installation is on the wooden door above the windshield. I used two small screws - I used an old GPS mount I had. You could easily use glue or some other attachment.

2. I attached to a map light by the driver's head. That light is powered by the coach battery. I spliced into the 2 wires - making sure the positive wire goes to the center of the 12-volt outlet.

3. Then I ran the wire to the compartment over the windshield. You could tap into the map light above the windshield - but that one is powered by the engine battery.

4. The new Garmin GPS simply snaps into the bracket and the GPS plug goes into the back of the unit. It is all very easy to remove if you want to use it in another car or by hand for walking.

The Garmin LMT 60 GPS is very wide - 6 inches. All controls are touchscreen. The power button is easily reached on the back. You can pivot the GPS toward driver or passenger. The best part is that there are no hanging wires.

There is an optional rearview camera that wirelessly works with the unit. It costs $150 - I did not buy it.....yet.

Now all I have to do is plan a trip to try it out.

The GPS is mounted on the wood above the windshield

A 12-volt extension cord above the windshield


You plug the GPS in here

Tapping off the map light by the drivers head


The red wire is positive -
the green one is the negative ground
Nice big screen - nice clean installation


No comments: