Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Harry's Favorite Car Of All Time - Just $7800 Brand New


My Nissan Leaf and this beautiful 1965 Ford Cobra


The original aluminum bodies were made by AC Bristol
in England - and shipped to Shelby in California

Last night Lulu and I went out to dinner with our friends Josh and Melissa. After a couple hours of good friendship - food - and fun - Lulu noticed something out of the corner of her eye - a bunch of cars with their hood up. She knew right away what that meant - an old guy's car show. We hopped into our electric Leaf and sped to the scene.

I have owned 75 cars in my short life of 70 years - more than one a year. I always wanted more than I could afford - a trait that does not seem to wane as you get older. Some old guys like guns - probably replacement therapy - I like cars.

When I was 16 - a car came onto the scene that was my dream. I always loved little cars - they did not have to have a big engine - but a small nimble car that did not use a lot of gasoline was my goal. American Carroll Shelby seemed to have the ticket. Carroll was a racer - he won the famous LeMans race driving a Ford. So he had some connections with the company. Carroll went to England and found a company AC Bristol that made a sleek light sports car. Shelby's idea was to buy the British bodies - ship them to California - and shoehorn small block Ford V8's under the hood. He eventually figure a way to fit the Ford 427 engine under the hood - and he invented a fire breather that could beat the Chevy Corvette on almost every track.

In 1966 - when I turned 18 and graduated from THS - one could buy Carroll Sheby's Cobra for $7800. I have proof because I wrote to Shelby - and they sent me sales literature. I have very few things left from 50 years ago - but I still have that orange piece of paper.

In my hope chest - I keep this original
Shelby Cobra sales literature.
Pretty rustic huh? Note the price.

The Cobra weighs about 2800 pounds and had 465 horsepower. It could go and stop like no other. It could go from 0 MPH to 100 MPH and back to 0 MPH in 12 seconds! It was loud - brash - has no power steering or air conditioning. The clutch pedal required weight training to engage it.

Maybe I can get one of these engines - and put it into my motor home :-)

I did not even engage the owners - I say owners because there were two Cobras there. The one looked original - some of these cars have sold for over one million dollars today. The second one may have been a replicar - several companies make a "mock off" of the car. Carroll Shelby is dead - but his company still makes the specialty car in Las Vegas. See the my tour of the factory here -

Shelby Factory - Las Vegas

I will probably never own one. I would probably have trouble getting in and out of it. But it does not stop me from admiring one - especially one this pretty.

That is my Nissan Leaf behind this
1965 Ford AC Cobra. Look hard - you can see Lulu waiting
inside - letting me have some drool time. You can see I was in a hurry -
my wheel was on the curb. 

This Ford 427 aluminum block engine was spotless
This second Cobra appeared to be a replicar
Roush is a modern company that builts
high performance race engines

No comments: