Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

The Temple of Heaven - Beijing - China

This is the Disneyworld EPCOT
version of The temple of Heaven
This is the real Temple of Heaven 
in Beijing China
Back in 1980 - I worked as a security guard at DisneyWorld. We were living in Orlando while Lulu was earning her Masters at UCF. I worked nights. My job was to guard in and around the construction of EPCOT. I was amazed at the round construction of the Temple of Heaven in the China section of the World Showcase. When I am building stuff for myself - I usually pick plain designs. But that does not prevent me from enjoying the other complex designs of the world. Every time we are at Disneyworld - I cannot pass up China without taking a picture of the Temple of Heaven.

Yesterday - after being in China four months - Mimi asked me to take her there. Lulu had to work on her lesson plans for today - so we hopped on the bus and subway for a trip across town. It was bright sunny - with clear air - windy - and cold. As long as we stayed in the sun - it was not bad. Pretty soon we were avoiding shadows. I was able to get into the park for free because I was 65+. Mimi had to pay $2 or $3. 

The park is big - and we certainly did not see everything - but we got to see The Temple of Heaven. For being 700 years old it was in excellent shape. It appears a night trip might be in order because of the many lights we could see. 

After that - we caught two buses home. One went to the train station - then we changed buses - the next bus went right to our apartment. 15 cents each. 

I know absolutely nothing about the religions of Asia. China no longer encourages practicing religions. You may have been reading about concentration camps for Muslims here. I do know that when I went to Bethany Church in Tamaqua - they were constantly collecting money for missionaries in China. The main character in the movie - Chariots of Fire - spent his life as a missionary in China.

Richard Nixon is held in high regard in China. They are happy he recognized Red China and started all the trade. Only anti-communist Nixon could have pulled it off. Compared to the stuff of today - Nixon was a saint. 

With the building of the amazing temples - churches - cathedrals - a lot of people suffered hardships. The same way with the Pyramids of Egypt and Mexico. Closer to home - slave labor was used in the South to build public structures. Visit Mount Vernon and Monticello. It all confuses and amazes me.


The altar inside

Indoor ceiling work

Gargoyles on the roof

Magical tablets behnd glass

Over 700 years old -
before Columbus

A giant park and many side buildings
A smaller version of temple

No comments: