Search This Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Home in Beijing From Vietnam


This was our hotel along Saigon River. 



We are back in Beijing after 5 days in Vietnam. We had a sobering and exciting trip to Saigon. Lulu enjoyed doing her 4 presentations at Vietnam National University. Our Riverside Hotel on the Saigon River was historic on so many levels - from the 100 year French colonization - to the 20 year Vietnam War - to the 45 year revolution. 

We visited several museums. Some were designed by the same guy that did the Eiffel Tower. Others were just throw together block buildings to display stuff the USA left behind. 

Being at 11 degrees north - solidly in the tropics was neat. Although we had no rain- we enjoyed 90 degree temps - and 90% humidity. We experienced some really bad pollution mostly caused by cars and scooters. We dodged traffic worse than I ever saw anywhere. It seemed like red and green lights were merely a suggestion. It was the Wild West. 

Saigon is more cosmopolitan than Beijing. There were many more white faces on the street there. Many tourists make it a destination because of weather - cheap hotels - lots of inexpensive places to eat - and of course the history. Business is booming there in the manufacturing and building industries. Tons of skyscrapers and cranes. 

So far I have had 3 illnesses here- nothing really bad - but nagging. First it was an inner ear infection and the tipsy feeling. Second was stomach bug and all the bathroom time. Finally - the pollution in Vietnam gave me a really raspy throat. I was forever sucking lozenges. I am better now from all three. We did have a series of shots before we came here. They were expensive but I am guessing I needed them. I recovered quickly. 
Lulu had a cold in the first month. 

The internet was much better in Vietnam. I was able to do 40 picture stories in 30 minutes. Pictures flew back and forth. Vietnam is also a communist country but they are not as paranoid - internet was good - both WiFi and my t-Mobil. 

Our time is flying by. I lost count on what day it is of our visit. I know that we have one more visitor coming - Mimi - then we go to Japan for 5 days. Fulbright is really happy with all the visits and presentations Lulu has done. They have invited her back to the embassy to present there. 

Lulu loves all the ambassador type stuff she is doing over here. She makes a genuine effort to connect with people - From giving a cab driver a key chain - to embracing a Santa Claus looking guy in Vietnam. He just gushed. The Chinese-language is difficult. Not only the sounds - but they use different letters - like 80,000 different letters! Add my terrible hearing  - and it is impossible for me. I converse using my iPhone - I type and it turns to chinese. They type and it turns to english. Everyone makes a big effort to make us feel welcome - and they are so helpful. 

I am cheating when I say I liked all the food in Vietnam because I picked out places that offer pizza - beer - steak - fast food - etc.  I do like the noddles with chicken - beef - pork. 

Our hotel had a wonderful breakfast every day. We ate in a high ceiling - columned - dining room. They had hot brewed Lipton tea for me. They made eggs to order and so much more. It was part of the $53 a night that Vietnam paid. Lulu was a cheap date for Vietnam and me. 

We did have a one hour full body massage. Two tiny pretty young ladies did a super job. Lulu and I were in a room - naked as jay birds - and these young ladies proceed to put you thru the ringer. It was so relaxing and we walked all that day with no effort. It was $13. Lulu returned to have her nails done at the end of the day. Hands and feet.
At that price I would start every day that way.

The Saigon post office was neat. It is like a community gathering spot. So many people walked up to us to talk - including one little guy that just kept asking questions. He was 10. And sounded 40. He spoke great English. His father was nearby and you could tell he brings his son there often to converse. This post office was built in 1891 and was busy busy all the time. Across the street was Notre Dame Cathedral. Our government never told us that Vietnam was a religious war. Catholics of the south - versus Communists of the north. 10% of Vietnam is still Catholic. The cathedral is in terrible need. 

We went from 90s of Vietnam to 40s in Beijing. It is sunny today - pollution is lower.

Lulu teaches tomorrow at noon - her regular class. Tuesday class gives us a chance to book 5 day weekend trips. We will do it in Japan. Next week Mimi is coming for Thanksgiving. Lulu wants Mimi to teach in her class. Mimi is one of Lulu's big shining school library stars.  We will also take her to the Great Wall and to the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian. 

I love Monday mornings - especially when we just watched the Seminole Basketball Team beat the Gators for the 6th straight time. Coach Leonard Hamilton is doing a fine job at FSU. They are the third winningest team in the ACC - after Duke and UNC. In the last 6 years his players have graduated at a nearly 100% level. Funny - the gators were ranked number 6 - and we beat them by 12 points at Gainesville - to a packed house - and national TV. No respect Dick Vitale - was whining the whole way. 

I love Monday mornings!

No comments: