Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2018

I Saw Mamma Mia Today From The Front Row Between Two Tallahassee Girls

Tallahassee Girls - Sabrina - Nancy

Today at noon - Lulu and I left the flat to walk downtown. After 69 dry days on our trip - it rained last night - and really cooled London off. Today it barely reached 70 - it was bright and sunny - but windy. The rain knocked any humidity out of the sky.

Our first stop was at the theatre to check if we could get tickets for the Tina Turner Show. It has been sold out for the last two weeks - the only seats left were a couple of single seats at list price - 95 pounds. We walked on those.

A theatre right down the block has a 3 PM matinee - Mamma Mia. We were lucky to get two tickets in the front row for 25 pounds each. Lulu calls them pity tickets because I point out my hearing aids to the box office person. They have discounted tickets for us "concessioners." She teases me but always has me getting the tickets.

A young lady was sitting in the front row alone. I sat down next to her - and got my phone out. On my phone it said there was a "sabrina" network nearby. I am 70 - but I still recognize a good intro line when I see one. I just said - you must be Sabrina. She was startled but I asked her if she were a local. She said no - she was from Florida. I asked what city - and she said Tallahassee.

The curtain went up. We watched the first act - and it was great. It went so fast. Simply - the story is a girl was getting married on a Greek Island - and she invited 3 men to the wedding. She knew one of them was her father. No more info.

Back to the girl next to me. It turned out Sabrina is a senior at FSU and she has been here all summer studying at FSU Study Center. She lives about two miles from us in Tallahassee. She will actually be going home on the same flight as us - from London to Atlanta. She just loved her London study experience.

The second act is really nice - but the finale is really the crowd pleaser. It is a real rousing medley giving each cast member a chance to show off their chops.

They are really picky about people recording music and video. I had my iPhone in my pocket - and to my surprise the camera was turned on and sticking out. I just got 8 minutes of the finale. The second half is better than the first because I was sitting down and the camera was in my pocket. Still you can see the nice seats we had for 25 pounds.

Some of these actors were in Billy Elliot and Calendar Girls - plays we saw.

I really suggest Mamma Mia as a fun - cheap play.


The place was full - 4 levels.
We were in the front row. 


Here is the video of the finale -

No comments: