Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Brandon Finds Cheaper Housing in Apartments Subsidized by his Employer

Brandon has one month left in China. He was looking for cheaper and better housing. Here is what he wrote to me -

I worked something out with my China Daily News adviser. I'll be living in the same complex they set aside for the regular employees. Employees of China Daily get room and board. They have their airline tickets paid for to come over from whatever country they are residing in. They also get plane tickets to go home for a vacation. It's not a bad deal. The complex is located within the China Daily compound.

Since I am not an employee but an intern, I have to pay rent - but only 100 yuan a night (roughly $14.50) which is a lot better than 240 yuan a night at the hotel.

I"ll send pics later. It's a nice place - bedroom, living, bathroom, kitchen and balcony. Airconditioning included, but no TV. Doesn't matter, because I don't/can't watch TV (no English channels and the BBC is blocked).

With that settled, I can get back to being a tourist. I plan on going to the Chinese Air Force museum soon. They have hundreds of plane, even a few captured from the wars with the US. Should be fun.

No comments: