Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Ipod Touch as a Replacement for My Laptop


I am in Disneyworld at my hotel - more details on my web site below.

I am writing some notes about "Using the Ipod Touch as a Replacement for My MacBook on Trips."

So far I am a little disappointed with the ipod touch. It does many things well - but is not fulfilling my needs. Good thing I brought my MacBook along too. Our hotel room has wired internet - not wireless - so I can't use the ipod touch to get online. I did bring along an airport express - but you pay $10 a day for internet here - for each device used. So the ipod touch sits - as does my wife's powerbook 17. We have been reduced to one computer in the hotel room.

Also - the ipod touch comes with one wire that goes to a usb port. Thus - the only way to charge it without buy something else - is plugging it into my macbook.

Another thing I would like on the ipod touch is a notebook - just some place you could write notes and store them. you could probably do it in the "contacts" section - but it was not made for that.

Now the good things about it -

1. It has a wonderful system to access you music - great for kids - but I do not use that much.
2. The calendar looks great - can sync with ical - but right now we use the google calendar - so that is out.
3. The contacts section looks like it is direct from the mac mail program.
4. One frown - when you do get on wi-fi - you must check your mail via webmail - a pain having to type in name and password - does not fill in itself. I would prefer it to use "mac mail." My son claims that it can be hacked.
5. The clock - timers - stopwatch - and alarm are great. But with my ears - I can't hear the alarm.
6. The viewing of photos and videos is spectacular.
7. The "one button" home feature is great. when in doubt - press it to get back to the main screen.
8. The calculator in big - bright - and intuitive.
9. The glass screen is beautiful - bright - clear - and the touch controls are great.

The best part about the ipod touch is that it has many of the iphone features - but at least you are not paying $70 a month to be able to surf the next and check you mail - even if it is only webmail. That is what I got it for.

I am not good at it yet - so far it does NOT replace my trusty macbook - or ibook.

Bonus - if you are into being a "poser" - you can sit in the lobby checking your email and safari - and some people will think you have an iphone :-)


Harry Everhart
harry@everhart.com
http://harry.everhart.com

No comments: