Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2007

I Ordered a New Garmin GPS



I ordered a new GPS on Amazon.com yesterday. It is the Garmin Nuvi 200. I will use it to replace my Garmin C320 that I have been using for a little over a year.

When I reviewed the Garmin C320 last year on my blog - Darrell - Wayne - George - and Jay - each purchased one on my review. I will compare the Nuvi 200 with the C320.

First - both of them have the same screen and use the same software. They are the same length and width - but the Nuvi is less than an inch thick - so it is easy to put in your pocket. The Nuvi battery functions for 5 to 7 hours - so there is less need to operate with the power cord dangling. The Nuvi also has the ability to show pictures from your camera - it has a world clock - it has a calculator - money conversion. It weigh 5 ounces. The Nuvi comes with the 2008 map package.

The Nuvi retails for $400 - but Amazon is selling it for $269 - no tax - no shipping fee. My old Garmin C320 will probable sell for $160 on ebay.

If you do not have a GPS and you are considering one - the Nuvi is a great GPS at a great rpice. If you are happy with your Garmin C320 - and you do not need to carry it around in your pocket - stick with it.

When my Nuvi arrives - I will review the features here.

Darrell - my buddy - says the Garmin C320 is not that good. On his recent trip north - whenever he would get the name and address of a hotel off the Garmin - there were no room available. He also said the GPS did not work in the Holland Tunnel - and when he got out of the tunnel he made a wrong turn - and hit a bus. His son says that the GPS was great - they would have been "lost" many times without it.

George told me that his Garmin C320 has his address wrong - it shows him living about 100 feet north on Seminole Drive.

When trying to find my friend Ernie's place near Tampa - the GPS had us driving out in a corn field - I guess the maps were not updated - or Ernie lives in a cornfield.

In my case - I often have Nancy arguing with the GPS usually with the GPS winning. I find that the GPS is more accurate when I use the British man's voice than the American girl's.

No comments: