Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Am Considering buying an iPhone for Nancy



You may re-call that my oldest son was in line at Syracuse to be one of the first to have an iPhone. He is a usually level-headed research scientist. Before I buy anything - I run it by him to make sure I am not making a big mistake. But I really must seek advice elsewhere on this iPhone. Two months later - Drew's eyes are still glassed over praising his latest toy.

Now Lulu wants one. The problem is that we have a family plan with Verizon that goes on forever. And for the next 2 years - AT&T has an exclusive contract for the iPhone. But there my be help on the way.

A kid found a way to hack into the iPhone to make it work on other networks.

People are contending that Steve Jobs masterminded an even simpler iPhone hack that anyone can do. If he did - he is truly a genius. Isn't it strange the only loophole in the telecommunications law is that it is LEGAL to hack cellphones to work on any network?

Isn't it amazing that one of the most popular new products ever - now has a mystery about it - "Who will find the simple hack first."

When I was in New York City at the Glass Apple Store in July - I never experienced a feeding frenzy like the mess around the iPhone tables. It was 3 weeks after release - and there were maybe 20 lines of people waiting 5 deep to get a chance to "manipulate the iPhone."

It all reminds me of the "Paul is dead" spoof by the Beatles in 1967. Folks claimed that the Beatles were giving them clues about the death of Paul on each album - like - "the walrus was Paul." It was mysterious - clever - and legal.

Now Steve Jobs buries a "hack" in the iPhone for people to find. Meanwhile Apple gets tons of publicity - and sells tons of phones - and AT&T holds the bag for them.

Apple Records and Apple Computers - a co-incidence - I think not.

I hope Lulu can hold out for a couple of months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harry,
The Iphone will never work with Verizon. Yes you can "unlock" it but the hardware technology is still GSM. Only ATT and Tmobile (and maybe some smaller carriers) have GSM technology in US. Verizon uses CDMA. The rest of the world also uses GSM. So good news for the rest of the world but not so good here in US.

Harry Everhart said...

Dear Blue Raider '66 -

Thanks for the note about the iPhone. What confuses me even more is - who are you - and why are you reading my silly blog? :-)

I'll take any readers I can get.

Harry
THS '66