Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Ant and The Grasshopper: How Nancy and Harry Did Orlando




They left home at 6AM and were in Orlando by 9:30. After a nice lunch - Nancy went to meetings about her grant at 2PM and she is still going strong at 9PM - the ant.

Harry went to Disneyworld's Magic Kingdom - the grasshopper.

Since our one year Disney passes are running out soon - I decided to go to The Magic Kingdom. Although it is only about 5 miles away - it took about an hour from when I left the hotel to the time I entered the park. I used the Disney bus system. Disneyworld was empty on this beautiful September Wednesday. I went into several rides w ith no waiting. I walked right onto the boat at the "Pirates of the Carribbean."

As I walked thru the park - I had a little bit of a sad feeling. I remember all the good times I have had there in the past - with Nancy - the boys - my students - friends and family. I have lost count of the number of times we have gone there - starting with the "summer of 72" trip when we went to Miami for the Democratic and the Republican National Conventions and stopping on the way home. I remember my Dad being my bus co-pilot. I remember my Mom liking to sit on a bench and watch all the different people in the park. I remember my students gathering in front of Cinderella's Castle for a nose count. I remember Drew with his coonskin Davy Crockett hat and Keith punching out Pinnochio on water skis. One can't forget all the camper trips to Fort Wilderness and driving all the busloads of kids down for 6-day Thanksgiving breaks. Then there were the plane and train trips where Nancy would bring 10 kids down by plane - and I would bring 10 kids down by train - and we would swap tickets so the kids could sample both forms of transportation. Also seeing the kids' eyes when they saw their first rocket launch at Cape Canaveral.

A Disney trip alone - reminds one that those times are gone forever and just a warm memory.

No comments: