Search This Blog

Saturday, June 17, 2006

My Student Chuck Going Back to Iraq for Third Time






Hello Mr E -
This me and my SSD Partner Gabe...........SSD stands for Specialized Search Dog and this is a pretty new program that the Army and other services has right now........the schooling is over 4 months long and you get to train 2 dogs.......at the end of the course if both your dogs certify, you then can choose which dog you want to take with you..........Right now it's still up in the air when I will leave for Iraq, but I am sure it is the very near future after graduation on July 28th.........Gabe's job is to go out and find explosives and things of that nature........He is also trained in basic obedience to listen to my commands........he can work on leash or off leash depending on what sort of mission we are doing.........He is the best partner any handler can ever ask for......Most of the time he will walk about 3 to 4 steps and then look back to see if I am still with him.......Gabe is a Labrador and will be 4 years old on Dec 26th.........The German sheppard in the other picture is Doki and he is my German sheppard........he just turned 2 in May and is a great dog also......He works great and has had one handler prior to me, but my instructors tell me he has changed 100% since we have become partners......thanks and take care Mr E
Chuck

No comments: