Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bobby Bowden Day - Coach Planted The Spear - Noles Clobbed NC State 52-17

I do not save old tickets - I would have way too many. I think I will save this one though. 

Bobby plants the spear in the turf at Bobby Bowden Field. Notice that Bobby did not turn and face the alumni before he planted the spear.

Bobby always loved the band. After each game he would go to the band and throw his signed hat to them.

Bobby came out of the President's Box for the last quarter. We get invited there once a year - but definitely not for this game. 

It was a perfect day. Bobby came home  - it reminded me a little bit like the Bette Midler movie called - The Rose. Everyone was so happy to see Bobby. Where were they when they railroaded him out of town 4 years ago after delivering 30 straight winning season and 2 national championships. Yes - Bobby hung around a little too long - I knew several teachers that did not want to retire and they were running on empty but were to afraid to retire. Paterno said that he would die if he retired - and he was right. 

It started out easy enough for us. At 2 PM we hopped on the scooter and drove to campus. We parked on the east end of campus and walk the last ¾ mile to the stadium. It was 65 and brightly sunny. 

Outside - there were plenty of tickets for sale. Lulu wanted to go in early to not miss the Bobby Bowden Show. So at 2:30 I settled for 2 tickets on the 20 yard line. Bobby Bowden would be sitting behind us if he ever came out of the President's Box. We have been invited to the President's Box for the Idaho game. Lulu tried to get it changed so we could be in there with Bobby. They said - No. The President's Box hold about 300 people. There is a lot of food and booze - and you watch the game thru glass with a bunch of glad handers. Many of them could not care less about the game - they just want to snooze.

We got to our seats 58 minutes before kickoff - very unusual for us. Face Value of tickets were $60 each. I could have gotten some cheaper - but I paid $22.50 each for some nice tickets. They were in the shade with the sun behind us. 

There was a neat fly over of 5 World War II aircraft. Bobby is an expert on World War II history. He loved Patton and read his book. Then Bobby got the chance to plant the spear into the turf on Bobby Bowden Field. After that - you did not see Bobby much. He did not stay on the sidelines. 

FSU scored 35 points in the first quarter! I swear they could have scored 100 in the game but Jimbo Fisher took his foot off the neck of the first year Carolina coach. Jameis Winston - our Heisman candidate quarterback had astonishing numbers. They pulled the first stringers very early - they made their point. 

For the 4th quarter Bobby came out and sat behind us - a few rows back and a few rows over. He could not see much of the game for all the people taking pictures and wanting to meet him. Bobby said - why is this a coming home party - I didn't go anywhere - I still live in town.

Funny side story - when we sat in our seats that we scrounged outside - we looked behind us - there was one of our builders - Gary Wayne - with his family. With 83,000 people there - we sat in front of our builder. On the way down the steps to leave - we saw George and Joel Dawson - our godparents and neighbors. 

We stayed until the end of the game - half of the people left very early. They said the game was sold out - it was pretty full. I honestly doubt that there will be as many people there next week when FSU plays undefeated Miami - I hope I am wrong. 

The game ended at 7 PM - we had to walk a mile to our scooter - but we still made it home by 7:42 PM. Noles are 7-0 now. 

I met Bobby once - he spent maybe 5 minutes with me on the day they were dedicating his statue. I told him I was from Pennsylvania and lulu was a new professor. He talked about Pennsylvania and recruiting Dan Kendra in Bethlehem. Ever since 1980 - I was a fan of Bobby and FSU. In 1988 when we lived in Tallahassee - we did not miss a game. We even drove to the Sugar Bowl where we beat Auburn. I love the man - I probably know more about him than my father. My family loves him - and it is going to be a sad day in Tallahassee when departs. That's why it was great to have this day for Bobby so he could enjoy it. As Deion said -  they should change the name to Bobby Bowden University because he did more to build this school than anyone. 


Near the end of the game we moved down closer - right behind the bench. 

This was the last touchdown of the game for FSU - a patented  Bobby Bowden double reverse. I went for a 50 yard score. 

No comments: