Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Scanning Old Slides - Meeting With Congressman Gus Yatron - At Nixon's 1973 Inauguration

Harry - Nancy - Congressman Gus Yatron
She was 19. 
Old  un-touched Kodak Insta-matic Slide

This week I borrowed my friend George Dawson's slide scanner. He showed me how to scan old slides  - it was tedious - but it took about one minute per slide - doing 4 at a time. We first sat down with a slide projector to review all the slides before selecting 350 of the better ones. Now we have a computer file of 350 pictures - some looked pretty blurry. 

Nancy does a pretty good job cleaning up pictures - and if her first piece of work is any indication - I think we are going to be happy. 

The photo was taken in 1973. It was in Washington DC - in Congressman Gus Yatron's office - almost 50 years ago. We had driven our little 2 cylinder Honda car to the event. The temperature was in the teens. At the time I was a Republican Committeeman in Tamaqua - and Yatron was a Democrat. All three of us had gone to Kutztown State College to become teachers. Yatron was a teacher - then went on to be a school board member - and then to the House of Representatives. 

We went to his office to pick up our tickets to be on the Capitol grounds. Gus invited us into his office - let us sit as long as we wanted - and served us hot chocolate. I am sure he did that for many people - he was all dressed up to be on stage - but he took this time to be with us. A couple years later - I followed his lead to the school board. 

We enjoyed the ceremony - watched the parade - even sat on the limo Nixon rode in the parade - it was a different time. I swear to this day it was the same Lincoln that Kennedy wrote in Dallas 10 years before :-) I am looking forward to showing many more pictures - to prove not all the stories I have told are baloney. I hope Lulu can continue doctoring the photos - after all she is "that kind of doctor."





No comments: