Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Life Goes On In China

Last night Lulu made a wonderful supper - chicken - pineapples - peppers - carrots - peas - over rice. We bought all the ingredients at the WuMart downstairs. Vegetables and meat are really fresh here - and inexpensive.

Jan went home and the apartment seems empty. JP and Wanda are coming Saturday. They plan to paint China red. It will be a lot of fun.

As I type at 9 AM - Lulu is doing a presentation open to the entire BNU. She was working hard on it - and I expect her to be a hit. After that we are going to the Apple Store - to give them my laptop - to repair a recalled keyboard. So I am typing this on my iPhone with a wirele3ss keyboard.

While I am typing using the iPhone - I am listening to the Democratic President Debate. What would I be without my iPhone and t-mobile.

It dropped into the 40s last night here. Our AC is off and the heat is on. We have two heat systems. First - the one we are using is the split AC/heat. We can set the heat level for each room with it. Then we have hot water radiators in each room. I do not think they are turned on it.

I still want to pester the cable company and try to get a cable modem working. there was a cable modem here when we came here - but it is not hot. I want to get is going. The college pays for our heat - AC - water - sewer - gas - electric - DSL internet. We are really happy about that.

Since Lulu's last class at BNU is Dec 20 - we have some open time near the end until the Fulbright contract ends - Jan 24. If Nancy can obtain an invitation to present in Australia - Fulbright said we could go there for a few weeks near the end. I understand - that winter here can be cold - like Boston - certainly some summer in Australia would be nice. It is a long parade ride - but worth it.

I went for a pedicure yesterday. There is a shop in our building downstairs. I figured I would try it first and then take Lulu. I had a very thorough pedicure for $2.85! Yes - under $3. They did an excellent job. I felt like surgery with all the scalpels and shaving going on. A very nice job - in a very professional setting. They said same price for a manicure. I will go back and take Lulu.

Paying for stuff over here. They seldom use credit cards. Everyone has WeChat on their cell phone. It is an account you top up form your bank. Our bank is the Bank of China. Simply when it is time to pay - you scan a bar code - it asks you to approve the price - you press ok. Like magic it pays. You can even pay from one phone to another phone. You can use cash - but WeChat avoids counterfeit troubles - and also carrying big sums.

We have watched the Seminoles football games. Things do not look good. But we support the team and coach. FSU cannot afford to buy out the coach with $20 million. Then what would be do - who wants the mess. There seems to be a lack of loyalty.

We are at day 59 already in China - it is going so fast.

No comments: