Search This Blog

Sunday, December 09, 2018

Apple Wireless Earphones - AirPods - Why This Old Guy Bought Them


At $170 an ounce -
more expensive than drugs

Airpods have been out for two years. They seemed very nice - but the $170 price tag scared me away. Read on to find out what feature changed my mind.

I have been hard of hearing since I was tested in school back in 7th grade. In those days there was not much they could do for me but yell at me - and they did :-)

I just went overboard and bought a pair of Apple AirPods for myself for $170. My son had a pair for over a year and marveled at them - I just thought they were too darn much money. But I found out about one special feature that put me on board. 

First - I will say - they are a work of art. The case is a beautiful jewel - if they put it on a string - you could wear it as a necklace :-) It is so practical - functional - beautiful. It feels so good in your hands. Like a talisman. 


The wireless earphones are great. They have rechargeable batteries in them that work a full 5 hours. You can wear one or two - saving batteries. You can charge one while using the other. They pair with your iphone the minute you put them in your ear - nothing to press. They give great sound. They are great for listening in bed - I listen to Sirius at night. I usually only wear one earphone. 

When they run down on power - you put them in the case. The case battery holds about 5 charges. The magnets suck the buds right into the case! The green light turns to yellow which means it is charging the earphones. In 15 minutes you are charged up. You can plug the case in later to recharge the case. The case is so round smooth and the door snaps shut so beautifully - it feels good in your pocket. I would like it on a lanyard for around my neck. 

The earphones also work with my laptop or iPad. They work with an Apple watch. 

When Nancy and I walk in the mall - we wear them together to listen to radio or music. They work about 100 feet from your iPhone or laptop. No need to stay close. 

I fall asleep with one in - and as soon as it falls out of my ear - it turns itself off. I find it in the morning - somewhere. Sometimes when Lulu wakes up - she grabs the other one and listens with me. 

Up until that point - I would probably not have bought them. 

But here is the one important feature to me. You can use them as microphones and monitors! When I was making videos in Mexico on top of the pyramids - the wind drowned out my voice as I got away from the iphone camera. With these AirPods - you can talk and it goes directly to the iPhone video cam - your voice is loud and clear. Also you can monitor it in your ear - like professional reporters. Even rock stars wear earpieces now so they can hear themself singing. We will be doing a Christmas  video using the AirPods as microphones. 

One last thing - you can use them as noise canceling hearing aids. You put them in your ears - and point the iPhone at the sound source - and you hear it better - like at a concert - you can point it at different sounds. I used it in a restaurant to hear people talking over the noise. I can think of a million ways to use that. 

Because the antenna is in the tail piece sticking out - you cannot hide it - but people are used to seeing people wearing them - so that is not a big deal. 

I love the case - I love the microphone feature. I am concerned I will lose one - so I really watch myself. 

All that for $170 - including tax is pretty good. Apple really made a great product - they should do a better job selling it. 

My suggestion - buy them on amazon - try them for 30 days - if you don't want them - send them back.

No comments: