Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

12 Years On A Vespa Scooter

The old blue Vespa - and the new light blue Vespa
Charlie is heading back to Mobile Alabama -
with the scooter for his wife. 

I just sold our old 2007 Vespa 150 Scooter. We bought it way back in October of 2006. It was not cheap - $4400 with tax - title - and tags. For 12 years - Lulu and I enjoyed driving it to games - running errands - and for trips to Lulu's office and classroom. All we ever did was put two new tires on it and replaced the battery 3 times. We kept it serviced well. It never let us down.

I have owned 75 vehicles - and I guess 12 years is the longest one for me.

After we bought a new Vespa - I listed the old one on craigslist. A few people came to drive it - some made lower offers. Last night - we were already in bed when Charlie from near Mobile Alabama called. He said he wanted the scooter for this wife. He said he would drive over today with the cash.

Charlie is 68 and has a Harley.  He is as sharp as they come. It took him 4 hours to come 217 miles with his Jeep pulling a trailer. When he got here - we went for a little ride. Charlie drove the dark blue one - I drove the light blue one. When the ride was over - he handed me the cash. We loaded the scooter on his trailer - and as I type - he is driving on I-10 back to Mobile.

The scooter cost $4400 new - we put 4400 miles on it.  So it cost us $1 a mile :-)

Today a new one costs $6000 or so.

$4400 - $1780  = $2620 - the real cost of the scooter.

$2620 / 4400 miles = 59 cents a mile.

$2620 / 12 years = it cost $218 a year.

Indeed lots of cars are cheaper to own - even if the Vespa gets 100 miles per gallon.

I hope we have as good luck with the new Vespa as the old one - particularly owning it 12 years! I hope I live that long.


No comments: