Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

1963 Cobra Sells for $2 Million

1963 Shelby Cobra

The Pebble Beach Car Show may be the biggest and best in the world. I hope to get there some day.

One of my favorite cars - the 1963 Shelby Cobra - sold at the car show for $2,068,000. A fully restored car - stripped down to the frame renovation - sells for only $1,000,000.



There is a new trend in car collecting where - less it more. This car has 5000 miles on it. Nothing had to be done except to clean it up. Probably the tires were rotted and had to be replaced. You have to ask yourself - what kind of person would buy such a wonderful sports car and only put 5000 miles on it in 50 years. That math is easy - 100 miles a year. It is not even enough miles for one oil change  :-)

Lulu and I have 2 strange vehicles. Her daily driver is a 1986 Dodge 600 Convertible with 15000 miles on it. It only had 9000 miles on the clock when she bought it 3 years ago. We bought the Dodge in a barn in the middle of a corn field in Rockford ILLINOIS. I drove it to Sam's to replace the original tires - then I drove it 1000 miles to Tallahassee - top down all the way.

Not to be outdone - this spring I bought a 1986 Honda Helix Scooter with only 1900 miles on it. A man just 2 blocks up the street bought it new and it sat under a cover on his back car port for all those years. The scooter looks and runs like brand new. The tires and battery were replaced right before the sale.

I guess now I will look for a 1986 truck.

No comments: