Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Trailing Spouse Pays $4.00 a can for a can of Coke in Cannes

Lulu and I spent Sunday in Cannes. We got back to our flat in London
Monday night. I am decompressing. When we came to Europe we realized
that the Bush dollar is virtually worthless here. I promised myself
that I would not be a tightwad whiner and complain about how expensive everything
is. When "country bumpkins" travel - they always complain about prices
at the tourist traps. But that even occurs in New York City or Washington. This was different.

Let me start by saying how pretty Cannes is. The weather was
great - warm - sunny - and low humidity. Sort of like Arizona with a
beach. That is the French Riviera. Having taught Earth Science for 33
years - I felt like George Bush when I said, "This is pretty - but where
is the River?"

Of the three big French Riviera cities - I prefer Cannes. This is
where they hold that film festival every year. It is a mixture of
Miami South Beach and Hollywood. The mountains come right down to the
sea. The Mediterranean Sea is the prettiest color of blue - see my
pictures at - www.harry.everhart.com. The coast is lined by resort
hotels - vacation homes - and fancy restaurants. The town is full of motor scooters and really neat small cars - many convertibles. One
can't but help gape at the pretty people in all of their pretty and
expensive fashions and jewelry. It is everything you expected and more.

The actual beaches are a disappointment. In Monaco and Nice - the
beaches are covered with rounded "river rocks" and/or pebbles. In
Cannes we saw our first sand beaches. One other thing that is a
disappointment is the "topless crowd." Yes - lots of people sun
themselves topless. But 90% of those exposing it all might better be
left with an old fashioned knee length suit. I realize I am showing
my prudish American attitude about nudity and sexuality - because most
of the people sunning topless couldn't care less about what I thought. I
guess it was a novelty for me - because many times I caught myself staring.
Lulu suggest I get some sunglasses to cover my one bugged out eye. I am
not a fellow that likes to spend hours sunning on the beach - and I
did not want to do it there. Lulu loves swimming and sunning on the
beach - she did not attempt "topless" for fear of being fired from FSU
- but she looks better than 99% of those sunners.

The actual water was cold by Florida standards - 75 degrees (23 over
there) - and a bit chilly for me. The bottom was not soft - and the
water was not super clear. There was a boat in the waves going back and forth skimming something. Without a doubt - Panama City is much much
better. I have a new appreciation for our warm water - and soft white
sugar sand in Florida. Regardless - the beaches were packed. Many
restaurants have their tables on wood platforms right on the sand.

Back in our "hometown" of Nice - on July 14th - their Independence Day
- we enjoyed a French military parade with the typical "flyby" of jets
in a missing man formation. One American said, "Notice that they
don't have rifles - because they have all been dropped." Another one
said, "Notice the uniform - kilts and sneakers - so they can crap and
run at the same time." It was funny - but I did not agree. I reminded
the guy that we would not have won our Revolutionary War without the
French help. I also said that the French were right in regards to Iraq
- and now we are over here paying 4 Bush oil dollars for a can of coke.

Touche!