Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

You All Remember Ed Paperman


From the Times News -

Businessman Ed Paperman says Tamaqua is "definitely moving forward" and he's happy to be part of it. But he's also concerned about safety in the community.

In fact, safety worries prompted him to take action. He recently moved his family to Hometown after his wife expressed some fear about walking outside at night in their Mauch Chunk Street neighborhood. Paperman also decided to voice his concerns at a public meeting.

"This is only the second council meeting I've attended in my 60 years of life," he said at Tuesday's regular session at the Tamaqua Municipal Building.

"I no longer feel completely safe. I'm not knocking Chief Hartung and the police force. But they only have eight full-time police officers. In 1990, there were twelve," Paperman said.

Paperman commended the police and mayor, saying that Hartung "has done everything in his power."

Paperman is owner of We R Cigarettes, a business which traces roots back some 56 years to the days when his father, Jake Kaplan, first started serving the grocery needs of Tamaqua residents. Today, drugs are one of the main problems in the borough but other crimes have impacted his business, including stealing.

"Some have grabbed cigarettes and run. Now I'm getting hit with bad checks," he said, noting that one of his enterprises is a state-licensed check cashing business.

The local problems have not soured Paperman's view of his hometown, saying Tamaqua has been good to him.

"Tamaqua is my town," he said. "I want to remain in Tamaqua. Tamaqua is moving forward and I love it. But I'm a little worried about the future when it comes to my safety."

No comments: