Search This Blog

Sunday, March 12, 2006

I Will Never Buy Advance Tickets Again - Duke Wins ACC Crown






Greensboro is a great place to see a basketball tournament. I expected it to be a seller's market for tickets - boy was I wrong.

At 11AM - we left our hotel in the van - we drove to the arena. I had the parking ticket from Thursday with me - I showed it to the ticket collector - and he let me in free. He said "It will be our little secret." So I am already up $10.

Then I told Keith and Nancy to go in and sit in our regular seats - I wanted to work the crowd. There were tons of folks holding up fingers and tickets - this was going to be good. After turning down tons of tickets for $10 and $20 - one guy said I could have an upper deck ticket for $5. I almost pulled the trigger - and opened my wallet - but something urged me to search farther. I pulled out my map - and started telling the scalpers that I wanted a single ticket in section 109 for $10. They all told me I was nuts - even this little old gray headed lady came over with her visor on and told me I was insulting them by offering $10 for that ticket. I waited.....

Two minutes before tip off - I met Jay. Jay is the manager of a Red Lobster Restaurant in Raleigh. Jay said I have one extra ticket - it is a good one - and it includes a bracelet that will allow you into the hospitality room for free food and drinks the whole game. I asked him what he wanted - he insisted nothing - he was given the tickets by his corporation sponsoring the game. When we got into the arena - my row was section AA - I thought it might be up high. The closer to the floor I got - the more excited I was. Finally - I stopped at the front rail down on the court - the only seats in front of me were the players and their girlfriends and families. Jay sat with me and we had a great time cheering for the Dukies.

It was an awesome game - Duke was up 4 at the half.

Jay and I went up for refreshments - the place had everything - chicken - pork - beer - soda - salads - and fruit. The best thing was fresh strawberries with vanilla and chocolate dipping cream. I quickly got two beers hoping to take one up for Nancy - but you could not take beer out - so guess who drank two 16 ounce beers. Half time went way too fast :-) So I took some drinks up for Keith and Nancy - and some strawberries - and then I went back to my seat.

The second half went back and forth - each side exchanging blows. Neither one established a big lead. Finally - Duke won by 2.

We struck around for the trophy presentations. Then went out for dinner. We got back to the hotel in time to see the NCAA seedings at 6 PM.

I will publish my after thoughts about the tournament later.

  • More game pictures

  • Official game writeup
  • No comments: