Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Peter took me to the Gulf to see his Electric Boat





Yesterday was a perfect day - blue skies - temperature about 77 - for a ride to the Gulf. Peter invited me to come along - he said he had to install two bildge pumps in his boat. It is 28 miles due south of Tallahassee to Shell Point and the Apalachee Bay Yacht Club.

When we got there - I was surprised to find out that Peter and Corinne own two big boats - 47 feet and 39 feet. One is a sail boat - but the other intrigued me - and electric boat. The electra reminded me of a cross between a golf cart and a motor home. It has two 4HP engines that look like they would fit in a golf cart. It also had 24 six volt golf cart batteries. It was hooked up to shore power by a thick long yellow cord. The charger kept the batteries topped up. Peter said he had a range of about 40 miles.

The boat had two neat cabins and a covered center area. Peter said the boat was going to be used for dinner cruises. The guy that originally had it built spent $220,000. Peter got it for 10 cents on the dollar.

Also to my surprise there was a nice small sandy beach at Shell Point. I am sure Nancy would be happy spending some time there less than 30 miles from home.

No comments: