Search This Blog

Friday, March 31, 2023

I Bought A Cub Cadet Zero Turn ELECTRIC Lawn Mower

It is easy to turn on and steer. Press button. 

They make it in gasoline or electric.

It is smaller than my current mower -
42 inches wide


It is springtime in Tallahassee and everything is in bloom - including the pollen and grass. For the last 8 years - I have cut our lawn with a John Deere zero turn gasoline mower. Since everything else I own is electric - except for our Honda van and Vespa scooter - I decided to cut the cord. 

I bought a Cub Cadet - zero turn electric mower. Yesterday I made the first full cut of our lawn. The mower is rated for 2 acres. That means you can cut 2 acres or 2 hours before it needed to be recharged. It is equipped with a lithium ion battery pack that stays in the mower. It has a separate charger that plugs into 110 volt or a 220 volt outlet. In 4 hours you have a new full charge which it 3 kWh and cost about 36 cents. I am guessing it would charge faster on 220.

Our lot is 1.2 acres - but .2 acres of that is buildings and driveways. So it took me exactly one hour to cut the one acre of grass. The battery gauge said I used 48% of the charge - so my one hour cutting cost 18 cents. I plugged the mower in afterward - and it was fully charged in less than 2 hours. Normal with the gasoline mower it takes about a gallon - I must measure that more accurately - or $3.50. It is nice not having to run for gasoline. 

Rear wheel drive - 2 motors

The mower looks and acts like a normal mower. There is an electric motor on each back wheel. You steer it by pushing 2 levers - left and right. You back up by pulling the levers back. With a pedal you can change the cutting height. Each mower blade has its own motor. It cuts a 42 inch swath. You can buy this same mower in a gasoline version (same model ZT143 versus ZT142E).

It has a fully adjustable seats - LED headlights - parking brakes - battery meter - and water proof battery box. The computer is under your seat in a waterproof box. The little blue highlights identify the electric power model. No oil changes. No belts to change or adjust. No gas tank. 

The mowing deck is easy to remove with 3 pins - no tools. the blades are easy to remove to replace or sharpen.

The electric lists at $5000 to $6000 at Home Depot. I bought this one used with 2.2 hours on the meter. I will not say my price here in case I want to sell it. :-) 



Two 21 inch blades - easy to change

Two motors - you plug them into the computer. 

 

No comments: