Search This Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2021

We Bought A Tesla Electric Car


   
Tesla Model 3 LR - LR means long range -
you get a bigger battery - two motors - AWD -
480 horsepower - 360 miles range


We can charge it in our garage on a
110 volt or 220 volt plug. 
They are not as fast as that supercharger.
It is much cheaper to charge at home.

I have purchased 79 vehicles - some would say I have a problem. Even though some of those were campers - scooters - even buses - it is way more than we needed. Many were for resale. But this one is truly different. It is the fastest - quietest - most comfortable - and most expensive. 

In May - I told Lulu it would be nice to buy a Tesla. Some say it is the safest car in the world. It has autopilot and also scored a 5 star rating on all crash tests. The closer was I told her it makes old men drivers safer by keeping them in the middle of their lane. That was it. It was a couple days before us going to Europe for the summer to see the grandkids - she said if I could sell 3 vehicles from our fleet - I could buy the Tesla. That was easy - on the first day the Ford pickup and the Nissan Leaf electric sold for $3000 and $5000. Two people offered to buy our Honda van. Finally she said - keep the Honda van and I could sell the camper. On the day before flying to Paris - a guy drove 5 hours to see the camper. He gave me $4000 - and he said he would come back with the $40,000 the next day. We had to fly - but my buddy JP closed the deal - and put the money in the bank. What a friend huh?

We ordered the Tesla online in June - you only have to put $100 down. I figured if I got cold feet I could back out and only lose $100. While in Europe - Tesla emailed 3 times to say our car was ready. I told them we would pick it up in September. They did not answer - and I thought I lost it. Lots of people were telling me that Tesla had a shortage and they were cancelling some orders. We were concerned. 

When we got home in September - I got an email - it said my car was ready for delivery on Sept 17. They asked for payment. I called and said I would not pay before delivery. They said okay. Friday morning JP drove us to Jacksonville in our van. We got there and the car was waiting. We signed some papers - they put our plate on it - and were ready to drive. Finally - they said we could pay. We connected to our Wells Fargo Bank App - we pressed the paid button together - Lulu and I. The car was ours. 

Lulu and I flipped a coin - and she won. She drove from there to our friend Joan's. Then Joan and Lulu went to the beach in Joan's new Honda Pilot. I sat there with the car. I went over everything - but did not drive it. Saturday morning we drove home and I drove 100 miles. We stopped at a Tesla supercharger. Our car holds 360 miles but I wanted to charge it at the Busy Bee - a giant gas station with 12 Tesla chargers. There was one other car there. You just plug it in - the charger starts. It was charging at the rate of 600 miles per hour! In 20 minutes we had 200 miles more. Lulu took over for the last 80 miles home. 

When I drove I put the autopilot on - cruise control with turning and stopping included - I had it set at 70. But when Lulu drove - she wanted to pass a truck. I said don't linger next to the truck - well she did not linger. She pressed down - no noise - no vibration - just G forces - we were going 95 in 2 seconds. I had to remind her - because she was waiting for a roaring engine. It was like lift off in the Falcon 9 Rocket - minus the noise. 

We made it home fine. There are so many features to tell you about. I am amazed - but I do not want to be "that Tesla Guy." You are welcome to ask any questions - come take a ride - or just visit. 


In 1974 - we went to Pittsburgh PA
to drive an electric Citicar. It went 25 MPH for 25 miles.

The Tesla has nothing on the dashboard but
a big screen. It is easy to control.

That is me driving a 1974 Citicar
made in Sebring FL

There are no keys - your Tesla card
opens it. Also your cell phone opens it
If the cellphone is in your pocket - it unlocks it.

It is named after Nikola Tesla -
a Serbian inventor.

No comments: