Search This Blog

Saturday, September 04, 2021

Having Supper With Steph Green In London

Steph Green and Harry 
at the Coal Shed along the Thames



The London Bridge was just outside
our supper spot


One of the nice things about our world travels and using the Internet is that every now and them I get to meet up with former students. One of my former students that now lives in Switzerland often corresponds with me on Facebook. For the past few years she has suggested that we meet up. But it has been hard to get to the right place at the right time. When I said on a story that we would be in London last week - I was happy that she has business in England and we might be able to meet up. 

Steph Green was in my 7th grade science class about 30 years ago in the old Panther Valley Middle School. She was a smart and funny student and I wondered how things went in the last 30 years. Usually when my students turn from 12 to 40 - there are big changes. But usually their core values to not seem to change much. Many times I do not recognize them.

Steph went to Harcum College and became a veterinary nurse. She did that for 10 years and then started working with a company that produces veterinary orthopedics. Just like in humans - their task is to help with diseases and injuries to bones - muscles - ligaments - and joints. I was tickled that she chose a career that depended on her science background. She has devoted her life to helping animals. 

We texted each other. Steph had appointments at Bristol and Sheffield - two major cities - one in the west of England and one in the north of England. In between her appointments - she caught a train to London - and hopefully could catch a late night train to Sheffield. 

At 6 pm - two Tuesdays back - we met for supper at a restaurant right by the Tower Bridge along the Thames. I selected a place called the Coal Shed because it was easy to get to - and also we both were brought up in the Coal Regions. She walked from the station - we walked from our hotel. 

Lulu joined us for supper. Since it was Tuesday night - Lulu's classes started at 11 pm London time and went to 3 am. We ordered supper - had drinks - and talked about old times. Good thing we had things to talk about because it took forever for the food to come. Lulu ate and left - we just stayed there and gabbed into the night. I was worried I would disappoint here. 30 years have been good to her - but 30 years on me - yikes. The last time we met - she was 12 and I was the age that she is now. She is in the prime of her life - and I am - well - 73. I am gray headed - bell bulging - and hard of hearing. 

At about 10 pm - we walked outside - the maitre de made an attempt at some pictures. We were along the Thames - not like olden days there was no London Fog. I watched as she disappeared into the darkness. She has half of her life left. 

We said we would meet again - maybe in Switzerland on our next trip. She lives in Basel - Switzerland. You can see across into France and Germany from her home. I quickly caught a cab when a car full of guys asked me where I was going. Back to Panther Valley - I thought. 

I got home in time to hear Lulu starting her class at 11 pm. "London Calling!" She exclaimed. And from 11 pm to 3 am - I could hear her welcoming her classes of the fall semester. Life goes on within you and without you. 




Just across the river was the Tower of London Castle




Another bad picture of the Coat Shed - 
we had to get the sign





 

No comments: