Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2021

My Test Drive of a Tesla Model 3 - Thanks Peter

 

Peter and his Tesla Model 3.

It has a trunk in the front and back - I will not say "frunk."




Everhart's love to go. My Mom used to say - "Everhart's have gypsy blood." There was a time we used to drive to Disneyworld from Pennsylvania - for a long weekend - 20 hours each way. Now most of our travels are overseas - our last big one included a 10-hour non-stop flight from Beijing to Paris - to spend Christmas with the Everhart 10. 

In the old days - travel meant driving. A friend once said - the Everhart's will never go to Hawaii because you can't drive there. Although we are old - we still enjoy driving - especially in our camper. We are like turtles - carrying our home on our back - bed - toilet - refrigerator - etc. 

But most of all - I love cars. I have owned 75 in my life. Some I have owned for as little as a month - but now my 5 vehicles are getting long in the tooth. Our camper has 30,000 miles - the Honda Van has 26,000 miles - our electric Leaf has 43,000 miles - your Ford pickup shows 238,000 miles! The baby is our Vespa scooter at 1000 miles. They are collecting pollen just sitting here. I have finally convinced Lulu - we should get rid of some and get a new one. 

Yesterday - I think I convinced her that we should get a new Tesla. I told my friend George about it - and he said he has a friend that has had one for 18 months. I quickly called friend Peter - and he said we could come over for a demo. 

Peter leased a Tesla Model 3. It is a top of the line all wheel drive model with two motors. It has a range of 315 miles. It can go 162 MPH. It goes 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. That is not a typo! It is that fast. Peter leased it over the internet and in 5 days it was delivered. Peter has only put 6000 miles on it in 18 months but he is now a super advocate. 

Right away - he told us to hop in - and we all went on a long loop featuring interstate highway cruising. This particular model is $55,000 new. Tesla will not haggle on the price. In the old days there was a $7500 tax credit but that is gone now because Tesla reached the limit in the tax credit. 

0-60 in 3.1 seconds. That is fast. To compare it - the hottest Z-51 Chevy Corvette right now does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. That is blazing fast. And yet when you push the pedal - the Tesla is silent. I did not floor it - but I pressed it down a few times - and was startled by the burst. 

Peter's Tesla has auto-pilot. This allows the car to do it all on the highway. It is an $8000 computer option.  It is in every car - you must pay to download the software. 

It has so many neat features. But the quiet and speed just blow me away. I do not drive fast - but enjoy the power. 

If we buy one - it would be the basic Model 3. It only has RWD and one motor. The base price is $39,000 - add tax - out the door. The white color is standard - other colors cost $1000 and $2000. 

The dash has one large computer screen that you touch for most controls. The cars are as nice as any Mercedes or Cadillac inside. 

Lulu has a busy summer. If covid lifts we are in Australia July and August. So it looks like Sept 1st will be the date to buy one.  

Thank you Peter for showing us your Tesla. You would be a great salesman. 



Here are the base prices.



It has a big trunk and plexiglass roof.

Two motors - one for front wheels - one for back wheels.

Plexiglass roof was tinted so sun was not bad. 

Easy entry. Note the dash board it empty. 


Peter had such a neat garage - the car can come out of the garage by itself.

That is my Nissan Leaf to the right. 

No comments: