Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Monday - Day One in Oxford

Breakfast before the big presentation

An early cab got Lulu to the conference on time

Monday mornings are my favorite. Working people go back to work after a busy weekend - leaving the world for me to explore.

Lulu was up at 6 AM. It was still dark as we had breakfast downstairs at our Remont Hotel. The conference started at 8 AM - and she was scheduled to present right after the keynote speaker. Since our hotel is 3 miles north of downtown - we called a cab - and off she went. We would meet again at 5 PM - but she would tell me all about her presentation via email. 

It was 45 degrees and sunny as I left our hotel. I walked around town - took in a few sights - but soon I escaped to the refuge of a couple of busses. I am not used to 45 degrees - even with sun. 

I visited an army surplus store that had some very tempting long coats for 30 pounds - all wool. 


I visited a scooter store west of town where they sold a Yamaha EC03 - electric scooter. I was very impressed - for 1000 pounds I could buy a scooter that went 30 miles per hour for 20 miles. It had a plug under the seat. Of course you know that standard household current here is 220 volts - so in America I would have to plug it into a 220 outlet - that I already have in our garage for the Nissan Leaf. I am tempted to bring one along home. It weighs 57 kilograms - about 125 pounds. I wonder how much UPS would want to ship it home. 

After that - I went to McDonalds to have a cup of hot chocolate and to use the free wifi. 

At 5 PM - I met Lulu and we went for supper at The Bear. It is the oldest pub in Oxford. It has been operating since 1250! Yes 1250 AD. The place has tiny rooms and a little wood burning fireplace that was working. All over the walls and ceiling were pieces of neckties - it was some kind of ritual. The club ties date back over 100 years.

Next we spent some time in a 
local market that reminded me to the Reading Market in Philly - except it was not heated. There were undressed deer carcasses hanging about. Next we stumbled onto - and I guess you can say crashed - a Christmas party in town hall. 

Finally - at 8 PM - way too late for me - we met Kathy at The Mitre Beefeater Pub - for some mulled wine. Kathy graduated from Oxford and was the director of school libraries for the whole country of UK. Every summer she takes Lulu's student on a special guided tour of Oxford. Kathy and Lulu are both members of IASL - you figure out the letters.

After 3 drinks - we caught a cab - and hoped he got us home.


Army surplus - cool coats for 30 pounds

More surplus coats

More army junk

This is the Yamaha EC03 electric scooter. It weighs 125 pounds - goes 30 MPH - and 20 miles on a charge. It has a built in plug and charger - 220 volts.

For 1000 pounds I can bring one home

Lulu and Bambi at the market

The Bear is th oldest pub in Oxford - 1250 AD

In city hall- we crashed a party

In city hall was the old library room - Oxford - England

Kathy and Lulu - after our drinks at The Mitre - it was 10 PM - on a school night

No comments: