Search This Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Oh My God - Brandon Took a Real Job in China





My best friend back home in Pennsylvania is George Taylor. My wife could say the same about his wife MaryRuth. They lived just down the street from us - both were teachers - like us and had two sons like us.

But the news today is more about their son - Brandon. With his freshly minted degree from Penn State University in journalism - Brandon took an internship working for an English language newspaper in China. The internship was an effort to build a resume that would make him attractive to newsmagazines like Newsweek in New York City. I teased him about seeing him on the evening news in the future as a foreign correspondent. He often sent pictures back of what he was doing over there - like the video above.

His two months will be up in two days. I was expecting an email soon about how he was coming home and how he might want to come to Florida State and work on his doctorate. Imagine getting this -

"So, I have some good news! I got a job over here. Copy editing for a news magazine, The Beijing Review. Google it. They call it the "Newsweek of China" which is great because I've always wanted to work for Newsweek or a Chinese publication.

I had a job interview and copy editing test last Friday. They called Monday morning and offered me the job. One year contract. I start work this Monday. Is that quick or what? They either recognized that I have some true journalistic talent or were desperate to fill the position of English copy editor, haha.

Now I begin to search for a long term apartment, since my current one is only til the end of the month. It's all so exciting, but a little scary. I've never been away from home without seeing my parents for this long. Penn State was always nice because it was far enough away from home that my parents couldn't just drop by to say "Hi" (although I'm sure they would have) but close enough so that if there were a true emergency I could rush home or have them come up. Now I have half the world and an ocean between us. Actually, now that I think about it, it's very scary, haha."

Shocked.....that is all I can say. After the original numbness - imagining how it would be if Drew or Keith sent home that news - I was kind of proud of this young man. Here is a guy who early on didn't want to go to school. Not that he wasn't a great student - all of his "A's" beared that out - but he seemed introverted. That cleared up in high school and he really hit the afterburners in college enjoying the life in Happy Valley - even editing the Daily Collegian - the school paper.

It should have been expected - Papa Taylor was an award winning communications teacher and later an editor of the local newspaper. Mama Taylor taught German and English and would take the kids every summer to Germany for "cultural immersion." This kid from the coal regions had some pretty good breeding and training.

I can imagine what George and Maryruth are feeling about all this. Mortified at first but slowly - very slowly - that will turn to pride. Pride in their first born's sense of adventure - strong work ethic - his wanting to make a difference.

I remember when Keith was a freshman at Florida State how he wanted to transfer to Georgetown. Lulu could not imagine him walking out on the deal he had. After all, "Why would anyone want to leave FSU?" But he applied to Georgetown on his own and three years later we lined up along the banks of the Potomac to do our victory lap. Keith eventually returned to Tallahassee for his masters - but was no prodigal son. He did turn a couple of folks into "believers" though.

If we are good parents - we want our kids to fly and be a success - to think for themselves - and be happy. This is counterbalanced by our desire to hold them close - love them - care for them - and always be able to help when they call.

It was tough sending my boys off to college - hoping that we taught them to be able to think on their feet - afraid that they would be influenced by others and make bad decisions.

Before this is all over - I expect to be paying a visit to China. Father George has already sent out some feelers to see if I were interested. But this time it is not to make sure Brandon gets off to school - it will be to honor one of his first big decisions and let him know that he is cool and we are proud of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.