Search This Blog

Thursday, April 09, 2009

The Trailing Spouse Worries About Mail Delivery When on the Road








Lulu and I travel a lot. One of the worst things about travel is worrying about how things are back home. Sometimes - we forget to cancel mail or newspaper delivery. Sometimes - the mailman delivers mail even when we requested it stopped. We hate to pester our neighbors to keep checking our mailbox.

In a perfectly honest world it would be no big deal - but in hard times like now - some people resort to stealing the mail to get important information. The Internet is not the only source of access to valuable account numbers.

While surfing the Internet - I came across something called Mail-Safe. It is a mailbox with a bottomless storage area that will keep your mail safe from prying eyes and fingers. It can even take 16 inch long packages. No need to fill out the yellow postal card announcing to the world that you are going away. When you come home - you open the locked trap door - and all your mail is piled up secure and dry.

This Mail-Safe was designed by postal employees that work with mailboxes everyday. They are even manufactured right here in Land of Lakes - Florida.

Today - with the sun highest in the sky - I decided to install mine. First - you dig a hole about a foot deep and a foot wide. The base of the Mail-Safe is shaped like and anchor so no concrete is needed. Next - you install the base. I used a hand level to make sure everything was all lined up. Finally - with 4 screws you install mail box portion. It took me about an hour to install mine because I hit some really tough clay and pieces of concrete in my yard.

Mail-safes are offered in 6 colors. You can see their web page here - http://tinyurl.com/mailsafe

Now - when Lulu and I go to FSU's London campus - we can relax with one less problem to worry about back home.

This is an unsolicited story about a product I like - I do not own stock in Mail-Safe. When you become a senior citizen - you seem to be more concerned about mail delivery than when you were younger. Sometimes - it is the highlight of your day.

Finally - my Mail-safe arrived today. It was the second one that the company sent to me. The first one was either lost in the mail - or someone picked it up thinking it was lost in shipment. Imagine that.




No comments: