Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2008

Lulu and I Voted This Morning

Today is the first day of voting in Florida. Since Lulu will be doing a presentation in Portugal on Election Day - we wanted to be sure we voted before we left.

Some folks do not like to say who they voted for. I am not sure why. I do know that Barack Obama got two votes today - well I am really sure about one. I am not trying to encourage anyone on how they should vote. We all have our reasons why we select one candidate over another.

I had my mind made up a long time ago. I was against Bush and his war - his wasting our money and kids in a war to enrich Bush - Cheney - and their friends. All of the other bad moves by Bush just re-enforced how I felt. The same Republicans that supported Bush are now behind McCain.

Today - I also voted for almost every women candidate on the ballot. I figured that men have goofed up this country enough. I would have written-in Hillary except that would be like a vote for McCain. It is too important to defeat Bush's policies. He has made such a mess of this country.

Back north I was registered Republican. I was a Republican Committeeman and was also elected to the Board of Education - refusing to cross file - and carrying Republican only behind my name. The Republican Party promised a balanced budget amendment to the Consitution - instead they ended running up the biggest deficits and debts ever.

I believe in living on a cash basis - never spending more than you earn. Neither a borrower nor lender be. Towns - counties - and states do just fine having balanced budgets. Someone once said, "A democracy is doomed once the people realize they can vote themselves a dole from the treasury." We have been living high on the hog and charging the bill to our kids.

The policies of George Bush made me change parties. It seems that McCain and Palin are more of the same. Governor Palin is a popular and pretty lady - but most of her issues are opposite mine.

I find it ironic that we have given President Bush a free pass on all the messes he caused - lying us into a war - letting us be attacked by terrorists - $10 trillion of debt - spending like a drunken sailor - plundering the earth in the name of freedom. Bill Clinton provided surplus budgets - started paying off the debt - and defended allies without sacrificing our kids and cash.

We have lived in Florida and Pennsylvania our entire lives. I like to think I know the people in those states. Neither candidate can win without those two states. I am afraid that many people being polled are saying they will vote for Senator Obama because they are embarrassed that they are racists. This can be enough to change the outcome. I hope I am wrong. Also - most of the polling only questions people on their home phones. Many folks have chosen to carry cell phones instead of having home phones. This makes the polls in my mind - tainted.

So at nine o'clock we walked into the court house across from the Capitol of our great state and voted early.

Most editors enjoy writing the classic, "vote for anybody - just vote." I encourage voters to stay home. That way my vote has more clout. If there were only 3 voters - I would only have to convince one other person to vote my way. If 1000 people vote - I need 500 other people to vote my way - my vote is not as valuable. So - if you want to vote - do it - if not stay home and make my vote count more.

No comments: