Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2007

Conservation and Conservatives - Part 1

Sometimes I get mixed up - but aren't conservatives supposed to conserve? Sometimes I think the two words look alike but really are not related.

I do not like labeling people - but I always do it. I like to say that I describe them - not label them. I was an Earth Science teacher for 33 years. I am in favor of conservation - wisely using our resources - but I often find that "greenies" - there I go labeling people again - only want to conserve when it fits their description of what should be saved and what shouldn't be.

As an "earth scientist" I have gotten tired of folks telling me that they want to "save the planet." The earth has been around for 5 billion years - and we as humans have hardly scratched the surface. The deepest diamond mines are only a couple of miles deep - and the good old earth is 8000 miles thick. When people tell me they want to "save the planet" it reminds me of a log going down the river with a bunch of ants on it. Each ant probably thinks he can steer the log and decide where it will go and what happens to it. But the log just keep moving with the river current.

When I talk about "greenies" it is the affectionate name I give to folks that have moved to Florida - built their homes - got everything just the way they wanted it by not being so conservative. Now they want to close the state to "foreigners" and not allow anybody to change anything because the "greenies" like it just the way it is. Usually the "greenies" want their taxes kept low by being subsidized by the taxes of others that moved into Florida just a few years later. This is one of the "reasons" that 3 people can live in 3 houses that are exactly the same - lined up on a street - with tax bills of $1000 and $2000 and $3000. It doesn't sound too fair to me.

The other day I was walking through the neighborhood and was commenting how nice a newly built home was next to a person's house. The person I was talking to lived here about 5 years.

The unhappy neighbor said, "This was the Garden of Eden before they built that house - where it blocked my view of the lake."

I said, "Didn't you have the chance to buy that lot before they built the new home?"

Unhappy neighbor said, "Yes but they wanted $55,000 for it. I offered them $10,000 if they would never build on the lot."

I said, "Surely you jest. What fool would accept that deal?"

Unhappy said, "Well - it was the Garden of Eden - and they destroyed it."

I said, "You know - it was the Garden of Eden before you built your house here - FIVE YEARS AGO."

Unhappy said, "Want to come in and see my $55,000 kitchen?"

1 comment:

Phil said...

Harry,

That is a good one Harry.

Phil
YL