Search This Blog

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Tamaqua Football Coach Resigns

By JOE PLASKO jplaskotnonline.com
Following Tamaqua's season-ending 20-3 loss at Marian Friday night, an emotional Rick Bennett told his team that this was his last game as head coach as the Blue Raiders.

Bennett said he had told Tamaqua Athletics Director Mike Hromyak of his intention of stepping down earlier in the week but didn't tell the team until after the game, not wanting to interfere with the last game for his 16 seniors.

Bennett, a Tamaqua High graduate, posted an 8-22 record at the helm of his alma mater. He is 52-66 overall in 10 years, including stints at Mahanoy Area, Panther Valley and Palmerton.

Bennett said he is resigning due to the harassment of his family, particularly during and after last week's 26-3 loss to Minersville.

"It has nothing to do with the football players or the Tamaqua administration," said Bennett. "My son and daughter were attacked verbally last week by Tamaqua fans.

"My son went to get french fries at halftime and some fan had the guts to tell him his dad sucks. Another person stood and cursed me in front of my daughter while she was cheering during the game.

"I was born and raised here, I love Tamaqua football and I played it. This was my dream, and I'm not sorry I chased my dream, but my family comes first, and I will not put my family through this.

"I would love to stand in front of those persons' places of employment, if they even have jobs, and curse them in front of their children while they are trying to work," added Bennett.

Bennett thanked his players, assistant coaches, particulary Jim Barron, and the school's administration for their support.

"I'm going to leave here with my head held high," said Bennett, who said he doesn't know if he'll be a head coach again, although he might serve as an assistant coach if the opportunity arises.

No comments: