Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2005

You May Be a Redneck - The Florida Coal Cracker Buys a 4 x 4 Pickup




Click picture to enlarge.

To help clean out the back lot and lake front - we decided to get a four wheel drive pickup truck. So for the last two weeks I have been shopping on the internet to get as much truck as I could for the least amount of money. After much deliberation - I decided on a truck that was listed for $4000 that was 120 miles east of town.

So yesterday - the coldest day of the year so far in Florida - I dressed warmly and hopped on my motor scooter and headed over US Route 90 to Lake City. Route 90 is a really nice highway - two lanes most of the way - great for a scooter. It was a little cool as I started at 9 AM. I filled my gas tank up - which holds one gallon.

I was able to keep my speed between 45 and 50. It was mostly level with wide berms many of them lined with crepe myrtle and other decorative bushes. To my surprise I was only passed by three cars all the way. It was neat going through all the little county seats - Monticello (Jefferson Country) - Madison (Madison County) - Greenville - Lee - Live Oak - and finally Lake City. I filled the scooter up again - one gallon - so the math is pretty easy 120 miles per gallon.

When I got there - I was surprised at how clean and new the truck looked. It is a 1998 - but then I realized that is 7 years old. The truck has really high mileage on it - 170,000 - so I took it for a long ride - about 40 minutes. It started up great with fuel injection. No smoke - plenty of power - smooth ride. It has a 145 HP V6 - power steering - power brakes - automatic transmission - AM-FM CD radio - cruise - OD - etc. It seats 5. I examined the truck as thoroughly as I am able - which means I kicked the tires.

I worked the guy down to $3000 - and had him throw in a bed liner and bed tool box.

So I loaded the motor scooter on the back - strapped it down - and drove home on the interstate.

Now - all I need is a gun rack - and for Nancy to get a pair of Daisy Duke shorts.

No comments: