Search This Blog

Friday, December 09, 2005

Matt Fredericks - Teacher - Penn State Fan - My Student - Our Man







Click Pictures to Enlarge

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Matt Fredericks has to be one of the students that learned the most from me. I am so very proud of him.

Matt made a big impression on me when he was in my seventh grade earth and space science class. He loved the Florida State Seminoles at the time and would always wear FSU garb to class. On my birthday, in the classroom, he surprised me with a picture of Bobby Bowden personally signed to me by Saint Bobby. Class was recessed that day to party food and happiness.

Fast forward through the second half of Matt's life. Matt went to college and became a teacher. Since Pennsylvania is waning and Florida is waxing - Matt went to a job festival at PSU and was recruited by the Palm Beach School District to become a teacher in Florida. They got the pick of the litter. So Matt moved south and is now a middle school math teacher - just like my buddy and Matt's neighbor - Charlie Depuy. I talked to several of his co-workers and they said he is a very good teacher. They love him and hope he stays forever. Matt and his friends came to Tallahassee last year for the UVA/FSU game.

Allison Collevechio - another one of my students - is Matt's girlfriend. She is still a college student back in Pennsylvania. Her mommy was one of my students and later one of my co-teachers at Panther Valley. Allison still beckons Matt's heart back to Pennsylvania. Our community back in Pennsylvania is so small that Matt's aunt - Robin Hill - also was one of my co-teachers.

Matt wrote an e-mail yesterday all excited about attending the press conference with Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno. To my surprise - check out the shirt and tie that Matt is wearing - PSU blue. Matt also re-created the Bobby Bowden signing of my picture with his picture of Bobby signing at the conference.

I love to tease PSU fans - but I am so proud of my Pennsylvania heritage - students - and family. It is going to be a marvelous month from now until the Orange Bowl. We hope to see lots of friends from Pennsylvania on the build up to gametime. PSU picked a fine time to play FSU after "dodging" FSU so many times since the Noles beat the Nits in the Blockbuster Bowl in 1990. The Seminoles are at a low point in their cycle and will probably get clobbered by the Nits - but we will still enjoy the game.

As a geezer myself - at age 57 - I love having Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno coaching in my favorite of all the bowls. I am so happy it is happening so close to our home in Florida - just 500 miles down the road.

People that we have not talked to in five years are calling on the phone asking for tickets. They say things like "makes sure you get us six tickets together on the 40 yard line - but make sure they are on the Penn State side." They mustn't read my web log because they would know that Nancy and Harry never buy tickets before game day - just like we would never go to Hawaii - because you can't drive there.

Matt - please don't be insulted when I call you my mini-me. I am so proud of you. I hope to see you at the game and I wish whatever team you are cheering for good luck. As far as I am concerned - regardless the game outcome - I am the big winner.

No comments: