Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Harry Got a Roomba on Craigslist


When you want to get something done easily - give it to a lazy man. A few years ago - I put one inch thick hardwood floors in our whole house. I am obsessive about keeping the house clean - but as I get older I get lazier.

On Craigslist I found a $399 Roomba - Model 560. The owner said it was like new and the battery died from lack of use. They wanted $150 but settled on $70. I bought a $25 battery from Amazon and the Roomba has not looked back since.

This model is good for carpeted and smooth floors. It even adjusted from one to the other. It now runs for 2 hours at a time - but many times it gets done early and goes back to the dock all by itself.

Another great feature is scheduling. You can easily set the Roomba to come on any day of the week or minute of the day. You could be away - and have the Roomba clean every day at a different time. I do not use that feature much because I am home so much.

It is super thin - so it goes under all the chairs and beds. You can't believe what grows under there. So far - I have done the whole house - the guest house - I evan turned it loose in the garage. It goes right under the cars - and it really filled the dirt hopper. After three separate runs in the guest house - it still fills the hopper. It also has a dust filter. When it is done - you just empty the bin - and put it back in the dock - ready for the next session.

While checking on the Internet - I found that you can program the Roomba from your iPhone. You can also steer it by tilting the iPhone. I plan to try that next. On YouTube - lots of people trained their pets to ride the Roomba.

No comments: