Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2009

I Got Rebate Check - That Was Fast


The City of Tallahassee runs our utility companies. Whether you use gas or electric to heat your home - the city is your vendor. No choice.

Tallahassee makes our electricity with gas. It is a relatively clean way to produce it - but it is an expensive choice. So that the city does not have to build a bunch of power plants - they are encouraging people to switch from heating with electricity to gas. They also encourage people to insulate their homes and buy energy efficient appliances.

When I left Pennsylvania in 2004 - the cost of a KWH with taxes was 8 cents. Now in 2009 in Florida - I am paying with taxes 17 cents.

Being the thrifty person that I am - I have taken advantage of several rebates. First I insulated the attic and the city picked up 80% of the bill - then I bought a refrigerator and got $75 back - then a set of gas logs for the fireplace and we got $50 back - and finally I installed the tankless gas water heater for $1400 and got a check for a whopping $675.

Not only do I get the joy of doing these improvements to my home - supposedly my monthly utility bills will drop. We will see.

No comments: