Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2026

GRAND TURK - THE LAST STOP ON OUR 8 DAY CRUISE

 

Grand Turk - 4 x7 miles. 4700 people
Capital of Turks and Caicos

Grand Turk is one of many islands in Turks and Caicos. Only 4700 people live on this 4 x 7 miles island. Since it is the capital - the average income is high - like $80,000 a year for a family. Also houses average $450,000 - again overweighed by second homes from outsiders. These islands are still owned by the United Kingdom - although their currency is the US dollar. There is a much larger island called Provo which is much more upscale and touristy. It was 70 miles away. 

This was my favorite stop. Mainly because we rented a golf cart and could go anywhere we wanted. The roads were empty. We went to stores - museums - lighthouses - beaches - the Capitol. It was easy to get around. Lulu loved the roaming donkeys left over from the salt mining era. They were always pesting for food and Lulu bought a bag of carrots at the market. 

Since we had good phone service and internet - I could easily live here for a month or so in the winter. Lulu loves the clear blue water - I love the breezes. Having only 4700 on the island reminds me of my old town Tamaqua PA. 

If I came back to this country - I would explore Provo. It seems to be more upscale - more shopping - more resorts - and a real international airport. It would probably be busier. 

Even though it was hot on Grand Turk - our golf cart had a nice shady roof - and at 15 mph it created a nice breeze. I think I paid $80 a day for a golf cart. It was for all day - but our ship left at 4 pm. 
The Caribbean Princess is a very comfortable ship


The water was clear right off the ship

This was a typical market. Prices were high -
because everything is imported except for salt



I liked this beat up Nissan Cube

This was the lighthouse keeper's house

On the northern tip was an old British military base

They claim Columbus landed here

Spiral steps to the top of the light

I had the light to myself

That is the old military base

Modern electric lamp

From the lighthouse

Pretty sky


Lulu was followed by donkeys





This was the Supreme Court

This was Parliament. They opened it just for us. 



The Capitol



Parking for about 20 cars


John Glenn's capsule - he landed near here.

Gate to the airport

My golf cart ran by gasoline. 


The main beach at Grand Turk


Many people went no farther than this

No comments: