Search This Blog

Friday, November 04, 2022

The 1972 Honda N600 Sedan

1972 Honda N600


In 1971 - Lulu and I were married. We honeymooned in Miami Beach. 

In the summer  of 1972 - Lulu and I were married a year. She has just graduated from high school - I had just completed teaching my second full year. I had all of my summer pays in my pocket - so what was a better thing to do - we bought a brand new car. 

Honda had just introduced their first car - after years of selling motorcycles to America. The Beach Boys were singing about their "Little Honda." 

The car had many new features - but to us - the price and miles per gallon - were big deals. It cost $1500 brand new. It had a 2 cylinder air cooled 600cc engine. It could go 60 miles on a gallon of gasoline. It was front wheel drive on 10 inch tires and wheels. 

Since we had spent our honeymoon at Miami Beach in 1971 - we felt comfortable there. So for a total of $8 we drove the 1300 miles from Tamaqua PA to Miami Beach FL. We got there and rented a room and bathroom in an old mansion in downtown Miami for $70 a month. It was July and we had no air conditioning - just a fan to keep us cool. We took a lot of showers. 

We took summer jobs - I worked selling Honda cars and scooters  - Lulu worked at the service desk in Kmart. She took the bus to work up Biscayne Boulevard. She would announce the Blue Light Specials.

By some strange planning - both the Republican and Democrat National Conventions were held in Miami Beach. We felt like we were at the center of the world. 

As September approached - we had to decide whether to return to Tamaqua and my PV teaching job - or never going home again - and finding new work. I know what Lulu wanted to do - Miami Dade Community College. But instead we returned home to my job and Lulu's slot at Kutztown State College. She drove this Honda there from Tamaqua. In 3 years she had her BS in Library Science. 

No comments: