Search This Blog

Sunday, October 02, 2022

38 - The Lindsay Fox Auto Collection in Downtown Melbourne

Lindsay Fox - Owner


This 1935 Mercedes convertible was tops
Harry Favorite


Queen Victoria Warehouse






On Saturday I stumbled onto one of the nicest auto collections I have ever seen. Not only did it have many rare cars worth over a million dollars each - but they have been restored to better than new condition. They we also presented in the old Queen Victoria Warehouse which was manicured to like new shape - but it was surrounded by modern skyscrapers - giving it an almost royal appearance from the Victorian era of Melbourne. 

The collection is owned by 85 year old Lindsay Fox - a local Melbourne legend. He was born in town - dropped out of school in grade 10 and became a truck driver. He worked that job to being the owner of the biggest company in Australia. He now has a fleet of 5000 trucks. He is worth a cool $4 billion dollars. Look him up in Wikipedia. He gives tons of money back to the community and they love him. I would call it the great American story - but this all happened right here in Australia. 

The trolleys in downtown are free. Around noon Saturday - I took the trolley west about a mile from our hotel. I found the warehouse - hidden among the skyscrapers - but visible from the trolley. No big fancy signs - I circled the building before I found a door. I opened a gate - met a watchman - and saw a sign that the museum was closed for a private viewing. 

After presenting my Florida Coalcracker Chronicles business card - the manager waved me thru saying I could have the bottom floor to myself. It was like a kid in Santa Clause heaven. I told the manager I was from Florida - and she asked about the hurricane. I showed her live camera pictures from my porch. She said there was a private presentation upstairs - by an auto transmission rebuilding company. 

I was so happy - first of all because it was free - second of all because there was no one in the way to get pictures. Finally - I was just admiring these beautiful jewels. Many of these cars are worth over one million dollars each. And they were mine for an hour. 

My iPhone was going a mile a minute. The lighting was perfect - the backgrounds beautiful. Each car was posted with a sign explaining the details. 

When I was halfway through taking pictures downstairs - they asked me to come upstairs - people wanted to see me. I was underdressed - but I quickly got some pictures upstairs - they were probably the latest and the best cars. I quickly got out of there - not wanting to wear out my welcome. 

I did not get a chance to sort through everything - but I wanted to post some cars. Between all the things to do and these two ladies running my ragged - I neglected my page and the readers. We are having too much fun - seeing all the news things - and the people of Australia. EVERYONE has been so nice to us - helpful - generous - and just being kind. 


1955 MG-TF



Early Jaguar




Morrell Devlin had this Jag in Tamaqua
in 1960s





Very special gull-wing Mercedes
worth millions









0-100 in 3.62 seconds. 







Ford GT




Latest Ford GT - remember LeMans




Lindsay Fox







This Mercedes has 2 engines





The last VW produced




Model T Truck



Porsche like James Dean died in









4WD Porsche rally car







This sign greeted me

Old restore warehouse - 
cars top and bottom- big party room









No comments: