Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2022

2022 Ford F-150 Electric Truck

It is a nice looking truck.


Cute little American Electric logo.


Today I visited my local Ford dealer - about 2 miles away. They didn't let me take it for a ride - they would not even entertain a sale. But they did let me sit inside. So there I sat - inside a Ford Lightning.

It is a very nice big truck. I am guessing it is 20 feet long and it seemed nearly as high. Come to think of it - I didn't even check under the hood. But what interests me most is the chassis. Ford has created a great platform. A layer of batteries pretty well covers the whole chassis. It has 4 wheel drive and 2 motors. 

The base price is $67000 - and after the options it came to $81000. It has a giant cab that seats 5 comfortably. 

NUMBERS

580 horsepower - 775 foot pounds torque - 320 mile range. 

One nice feature is a place to plug your home in! Yes - during a power failure - this truck battery can power your home. Maybe not the heat - AC - dryer - and range - but everything else. During a hurricane power failure - you can keep the lights - TV - fans - and refrigerator going for about a week. That feature would be good for power tools too. 

By the governments rating it get 70 MPGe - that means comparing the price of electricity to gasoline - how much it will cost you to power it. That is at today's electric rate of about 12 cents per KWH. 

You can see my red Tesla in the pictures. It is downright tiny compared to this truck. But if I had a choice when I bought my electric car - I would preferred to buy my car from a traditional car company with a service garage about 2 miles from my home. I have driven my Tesla 10 months now - and have yet to need service at a garage. I did my first service today - I put air in the tires. A light on the dashboard said my left rear tire was a little low. 

Since Americans buy as many pickups as cars - and the number 1 one selling vehicle in American for like 30 years is the Ford F-150 - this is a good vehicle to watch. I was really surprised when America said "okay" when Ford switched over to aluminum bodies. According to advanced orders - Americans are willing to buy pick-ups without exhaust pipes. 

I love the truck. But my love interest is for another reason. 

The Ford F-150 chassis will make an excellent motor home. I am sure in 3 years - tons of campers will be sitting on this chassis - with that big old battery being able to power the air conditioner  - to keep Florida campers comfy cool in the summer nights. 

Another great thing about electric vehicles - if you own a dog - you can leave the AC on to keep your puppy cool when you go shopping and traveling. It's a whole new world!

In 1977 - Lulu and I pulled a trailer across the USA and back with a little Chevy Chevette. It would be nice in 2027 - to make that trip - this time in an all-electric motorhome on a Ford F-150 Lightning chassis. 

I give it 2 thumbs up. 

2022 Ford F-150 Electric Lightning

I am not used to such a tall vehicle.



This is where you can plug your tools and your home. 

Under this flap is the charge plug. 



Enlarge this to see details. 

They say you can save $1750 a year on gasoline.

 

No comments: