Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2022

Paris Day 4 - Pompidou Center - Museum of Modern Art

Pompidou Center - Museum of Modern Art


Thursday was day 4 of our whirlwind 9 day Paris Trip. I recently said I was having jet lag from our trip. My friend Charlie Depuy replied - it is old age not jet lag. I look at it from that perspective now. It hit home this morning when I got up for a normal early breakfast and my grandson Max said - this is the first time you were up to see me off to school. We all laughed. That my friends is old age jet lag. 

I am writing this on Friday morning with a beautiful sunny day outside my window. I still marvel that all my friends are still in bed at home in the USA. Lulu was up late - at 2 am she was listening to the FSU women's basketball game that we lost to Missouri State. Just like that - both FSU basketball seasons are over now. No national champions I guess :-)

Thursday we took a bus to the Pompidou Center - Museum of Modern Art. It is the second largest in the world next to the New York one. Pompidou was president here when the building was designed in the early 1970s. I remember the controversy it caused then. The building is turned inside out - all the plumbing - electrical - structural - ventilation systems are on the outside for all to see. Inside are the typical white rooms for art - but structure is exposed like an erector set. Just like the Eiffel Tower the French hated when it was first built. A few years later - Richard Rogers was given a Pulitzer Prize for its design. It is really different. 

If you are coming to Paris - and your time is short - go to the Louvre instead. To me - it is the best art museum in the world. It is gigantic and is housed in a giant classic historic palace - similar to Versaille. 

I am not a big fan of Modern Art. I feel if art has to be explained to me - it is not doing what it is supposed to do - entertain. That's just me. I like plain beautiful things like the Parthenon - the Washington Monument - a Saint Louis Arch. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. 

I will post a few pictures of the art inside and the structure. It is also a nice platform from where you can photograph other things. We had lunch at a little red cafe - and went back into the museum for another round. When you are older - it is always nice to find a good place to sit - collect your thoughts - have something to eat and drink. 

About 4 PM - we started back to the apartment. We took the subway - it is much faster than the bus. You use the same card to get on either one. At home - Lulu made a nice dinner - plain and simple - meatballs and gravy - mashed potatoes - broccoli. She has found a nice sweet peach wine that I can tolerate. I sneak in a 20 cent container of Flam - I bought a load of it at Aldi. It is simple egg cream custard with a sticky brown sweet carmel topping. Natures perfect food. :-) We stayed up and watched a few of the NCAA early playoff games. 

I will post a ton of pictures unedited. I am sure either Facebook or Google will cut out some because of nudity. 






























We had lunch at the red cafe












No comments: