Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2020

CAMPER CARE - Freezing in Florida


At 5 AM this morning it was 27 degrees in Tallahassee. It is already up to 40 degrees at 10 AM and will climb to a high of 48 degrees. You would not know it by looking because we have bright sun and a dark blue sky. 

Since we seldom get freezing here - I did not have the camper tanks drained or the water lines bled. When I woke up at 9 - I put some clothes on and went out to check the camper. It was 30 degrees on the thermostat inside. I immediately turned on the furnace and the engine. The temperature got to a toasty 50 degrees in just 10 minutes. I turned the water pump on and tried the sink faucet - it was fine. I then tried the toilet and the shower nozzle - again fine. Lastly - I check the outside shower - it flowed smoothly. 

I turned on the water heater - it fired right up - as did the generator. Finally - I turned the camper into the sun to warm it up. 

Tonight - they are predicting 23 degrees here. I plan to leave the furnace on all night. The water heater will be left on too. 

Some people here experienced power failures from heavy rain and wind. We were ready with our  backup power systems - but there was no need. 

When we lived in Pennsylvania we owned an Argosy Motor Home. One time I drained the tanks and blew out the water lines only to have a water line break that was not drained fully. It was pain  replacing that water line. They sell a special pink anti-freeze for campers to put in water lines that carry drinking water. 

We are already for a camper trip from Tallahassee to Key West right after New Years Day. We do not have reservations and plan to vagabond all the way. 


No comments: