Search This Blog

Saturday, November 14, 2020

We Replaced The Toilet In Our Camper

This is the new Aqua Magic V installed

This is our 2004 Dodge Roadtrek.



Today I replaced the 16 year old toilet in our camper. It still worked fine - but rather than just replace moving parts - we chose to install a new unit. 16 years is a longtime for a lightweight plastic unit. 

The old toilet was a Thetford Aqua Magic IV. We searched on Amazon - and they offered a Thetford Aqua Magic V for $135. The main difference was that the newer model had a hand flush system - the old one had a foot pedal flush. Other than that they are pretty much same. 

First I took the old one out. It only had two nuts to remove with a ½ inch wrench. The water supply was simply twisted off by hand. When I lifted off the old toilet - it exposed the old rubber gasket. It installs just like a toilet in your home - but it is much lighted due to being made of plastic. You can lift the toilet with one hand. 

When I fit the new one into the space - I noticed that the water supply hose was about one or two inches short. I had to lengthen the water supply line. 

After that it was a simple plug in the old one - fasten the two brass nuts - and twist on the water supply. 

Before I tightened everything down - I turned on the water pump to see how it worked. There is not a lot of room in the toilet closet - so you had to take your time tightening everything. 

I am really happy with the results. The old foot pedal worked fine - but the handle control seems more precise. You can flush and add water while you are sitting. 


The new toilet on the left - the old one on the right. It came with gasket and bolts. 



Here is the water supply and sewer flange




The old toilet had pedals and was a little lower


Notice the new toilet has a higher water inlet



It is a nice clean installation



The new rubber gasket 



I added a small piece of hose to the water connection. 


CAUTION - ON THIS JOB I ACCIDENTALLY DROPPED A MICROFIBER CLOTH DOWN INTO THE TOILET TANK. IT WAS A REAL HARD JOB TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED WHEN IT BLOCKED THE TANK. I FINALLY GOT IT OUT - THAT IS ANOTHER STORY. WE ARE VERY CAUTIOUS NOW ABOUT WHAT WE PUT IN THE TOILET. 

No comments: