Search This Blog

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Weekend in Washington DC With Son and Grandson


Charles Linbergh's Spirit of St Louis - the
first plane to solo across the Atlantic in 1927.

Way ahead of his time - American Robert Goddard
flew this liquid fuel rocket in 1927 - a few years
before Nazi Werner von Braun launched
the V-2 in 1943. 

The Nazi V-1 first guided missile. It carried
one ton of TNT from France to London. 

American Museum of Art on the Mall
across from the Air and Space Museum seems endless.
You could spend a day there looking at the
galleries of art. 

Liz was spending the weekend in Jackson MS - so I decided to come to DC to give Keith a hand with Max.

There is a new non-stop flight on American Airlines from Tallahassee. It took just two hours - from 7 AM to 9 AM - to get from our state capital to our nation's capital. I arrived to temperatures in the 50s and overcast skies. I had a few hours to kill before supper - so I went to the Air and Space Museum and the National Art Gallery on the Mall. The museums were not crowded and I got to see a lot of my favorites. What is nice about Washington is that almost all the museums are free of charge.

We had supper at a very nice pizza place - then Liz had to take the Metro to the airport. It was about 6 PM. Unfortunately - her plane was delayed by weather and she did not get to Jackson MS until 3 AM.

Saturday we went to the playground in the morning - then a Georgetown Hoyas basketball game downtown. Time just flew by - but by bedtime we were all tired. I slept from 9 PM to 7 AM.

We went to the airport at 10 AM today to pick up Liz - and we all will play for the rest of the day.

At 8 PM - my plane is supposed to leave for Tallahassee - at 10 PM Lulu will pick me up at home. I will probably sleep all the way - which is why I am writing this story early.

It is cool not having to stop in Atlanta like we usually do on all our trips from Tallahassee. The plane coming up was only 75% full - and I am wondering if our small city and support such a flight.




No comments: