Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2017

Tamaqua PA - My Hometown



This video makes my hometown of Tamaqua PA looks so beautiful.

I lived in Tamaqua from 1948 to 2004. I was a teacher near there and taught for 33 years. I met my wife Lulu there - built a home - and raised a family.

Tamaqua was a coal mining and railroading town. There is still plenty of coal there - but not much of a market. Almost everyone in town heats their homes with oil or electricity. burning coal produces about twice as much pollution as oil.

There is not much work there - so I have watched the town dwindle from 12,000 people to 6,000.

People from town travel to NewYork City and Philadelphia for major entertainment. The big cities are about 100 miles away. The nearest major airport is Allentown - about 40 miles away.

My old high school has been torn down - part of it has been turned into a community college. Due to the John Morgan Foundation - any local high school graduate can obtain two free years of education at the community college - which is transferable to all of the Pennsylvania State Colleges.

Housing is plentiful and one can buy a nice home for $30,000 to $40,000.

No comments: