Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Disappointing Results On My DNA Test



Ever since I was little - my parents told me that most of my ancestors came from Germany and Wales. With names like Quick - Snyder - Everhart - Brouse- Shoemaker - Neifert in my background - it was pretty obvious that I was 75% German and 25% Welsh. but I always wanted to know for sure. 

My parents told me that all my ancestors came from Europe in the middle of the 1800s. This was easy to prove because all 4 of my grandparents were born in the USA - Pennsylvania - West Penn Township- and Mahanoy Township. They were all farmers - carpenters - or miners. 

For Christmas - Lulu gave me the Ancestry.com DNA Test Kit. For $99 - you spit into a test tube and they analyze your DNA. After waiting a couple months - they finally posted my results to my online account. 

There were no surprises. Over 99% of my ancestors came from Europe. The disappointing thing is I expected a more details background - a country by country breakdown. You can see by the map above - it is pretty vague. 

I have not zeroed in on it yet - but if you wish - they will post your DNA on their network - and you have a chance to be connected to other people who have the same results - and indeed are related to you. 

No comments: