Search This Blog

Thursday, March 05, 2015

Springfield Illinois - GAR Museum - Frank Lloyd Wright House

Lulu was done work at 3 PM - I had to take her to Lincoln's Old Capitol to get her picture by the State Library where Lincoln studied for his Bar exam. 

I wanted to sit in Lincoln's legislature seat.


I stumbled onto the GAR - Grand Army of the Republic Museum. The GAR was a military group like the American Legion. To belong you had to fight in the Civil War for the North. It was started in Springfield and they still keep a collection there.

This flag was the one that was on Lincoln's Ford Theatre Box.


Banners - guns - letter - uniforms - pictures - and badges of the GAR and their Women's Auxiliary.

I also had a fantastic tour at the Dana-Thomas House - a 12,000 square foot Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie Home. I will post those pictures after I sort out that story tomorrow.





No comments: