Search This Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Its Great To Beat The Florida Gators



The post game fireworks  were impressive - but it is even more fun watching the Gator fans leaving. 

Lulu and her new home - in Mom's World

It was a picture perfect day in Tallahassee - the day the Gators came to town. They were sure they were going to knock the undefeated Seminoles out of the post season playoff. It was 60 degrees under a perfect dark blue dome of a sky only interrupted by the Goodyear blimp circling overhead. 

Lulu was invited to the President's House for a pre-game party. She is a now a full professor in library science - certainly not on a career track to end up living there - but being both an alumni and faculty member - we feel like it is our house. 

They had lots of very nice food - a little pre-game music - and a coach did a little pre-game chalk talk. It is also our source for a fantastic parking pass right next to the stadium. 

The party was at noon - at 2 PM we were back at home where George and Joel Dawson picked us up in their van for the trip to the stadium. 

Traffic was horrible because on the weekend of a 3:30 PM kickoff - most of the people drive in at game time rather than spend $300 a night on hotel rooms. At 7:30 - there is also a big traffic jam because the Gators can drive home in 3 hours - again not wasting their money being fleeced by the local hotels. The owners of our old home have turned the guest house into a bed and breakfast. It is highly rated on AirBnB.com - and they get $300 a night - two night minimum. 


While George and all parked the van and set up our party - I was on the hoof trying to find tickets. At first it was difficult but I did end up with some good deals - almost as good as Lulu's Black Friday deals. 

The first pair I bought was from a Gator - tickets facing the sun. I got them for $25 each - I hoped they were good. Then I hit a dry spell because prices were high. Finally I walked back to the van - with fingers up. A guy stopped me with 3 end zone tickets that had a face value of $100 each. I said I was not pay that much. He offered $50 - I said that was too much and I was going home to watch the game on TV. He said - $50 for three??  I reached for my wallet - all I had were $100's. He only had $30 in change - but I took them - 3 for $70 total. So I had $120 into 5 tickets.

On the way into the stadium I held up the spare ticket and got $50 for it. So our final cost was $70 for 4 - not too shabby for FSU versus FU. 

Lulu and I sat among the Gators - they were cordial and honestly did not expect much. Maybe we were too old - but they were friendly to us. All the first quarter we were staring into the sun. It was hot and a bad glare. I spent the time with my jacket over my head making a tunnel. Second quarter the sun went behind the stands - and it was nice. It dropped to 55 at the final gun. But the fireworks display - shown above were worth it. 

George drove home - we watched the reviews on TV. We fell asleep to more Thanksgiving leftovers.

The best part of the day was how ESPN tried to ignore the fleecing of the SEC by the ACC. In the grudge matches in Kentucky - South Carolina - Florida and Georgia - ACC teams beat the good old boys of the SEC. Louisville beat Kentucky - Clemson beat South Carolina - Georgia Tech beat Georgia - and the Seminoles beat the Gators. All season the 4 letter network has been shilling for the SEC - and their big mutual contract. 

They can talk all they want about weak schedules - game control - impressive wins - winning with honor - but Florida State is 12-0 - and the only thing that can stop them from being in the playoffs are the Rambling Wrecks in the ACC Championship in Charlotte next week. We will be in Gibraltar or Morocco - but Jackie and Tami will be in Charlotte cheering on Jameis. 

 
President's Party

Game Day in Tallahassee

Weekend at Bernie's

Lulu keeps on my right side - my good eye - and good ear

Florida State was a women's college for over 50 years. The top majors were art - nursing - teaching - and library science

Florida Senate President John Thrasher got a promotion and is now the President of Florida State. He got the best parking place and license plate

Music and a chalk talk session

No comments: