Search This Blog

Monday, August 02, 2010

Keith Booked Me A Flight to Athens



After spending Sunday afternoon trying to find a reasonable flight to Athens - to no avail - I went out to tour the Transportation Museum at Convent Garden and the Victoria and Albert Museum in Knightsbridge. Sunday is a bust day over here for the museums - but the VA was pretty empty because it was near quitting time.

When I came home - what a surprise it was to find an airline ticket to Athens from KLM Airlines in my email box. Keith had been busy shopping airline tickets and found one through his Alaskan Airline agent with KLM in Holland. I would leave Monday at 7 PM - fly through Amsterdam - arrive in Athens at 1 AM Tuesday. I would leave Wednesday at 5 PM and arrive back in London at 9 PM. Sounded great!

It is 7 AM now - Monday morning - and I have been dreaming about the trip all night. It sounds fabulous - but the older you get the more cautious you are. The biggest possible snafu would be that we leave the apartment for the trip home at 4 AM Thursday morning. Even if all the connections go as planned - it would be pretty tough on the body. I do not jet lag well :-)

I can use the excuse that I have guests here in the apartment - that would play better than admitting my body is too frail - or that I am afraid I would miss my flight back to the states :-)

The round trip to and from London to Athens would have cost 30,000 air miles - Keith's air miles - and $170 tax. It is way cheaper than anything we could find here - $500 to $2000. When you book at the last minute flights go sky high.

So I think it would be wiser to use that American saying - "wait until next year." Besides - Keith will be back over here - and we can go together.

Thanks son for the offer.