Search This Blog

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bowden Speaks Out About Fight

Article published Nov 16, 2008
Bowden wants players to learn to 'back away'
By Steve Ellis
DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER
It is a message that Bobby Bowden has delivered numerous times.

“Back away.”

But Florida State football players apparently didn’t do that last week during an on-campus brawl. And, as a result, five receivers were suspended for the Boston College game. The group included three of FSU’s top receivers in Corey Surrency, Taiwan Easterling and Bert Reed.

“I’ve done this every year: ‘Men, you have to back away from trouble’ ”, said Bowden who told the players to call police if they find themselves in a similar situation. “You might look like a coward but you must back away. As a football player you do not have a chance. Just back away. If someone is harassing you. …. My number is listed. Call me.”

Bowden handed down the suspensions prior to the completion of the FSU Police Department's investigation, an unusual move for the veteran coach. Bowden, during his first in-depth interview about the fight and suspensions, said on Sunday that he believed it was necessary.

“The fact that they went over there,” Bowden said. “Sure, they knew something was up. Yet you could see why several of them would go -- have to go over there and protect so-and-so.

“My thinking was: ‘Well, you shouldn’t have gone over there in the first place.’ ”

Three of the players disciplined had been suspended for various reasons before. Bowden said he believes a message has been delivered.

“I’m sure they got the message because these kids that were suspended came by my office and cried: ‘Why me? I was just trying to help my buddy.’ And stuff like that. (They) couldn’t believe they were going to be suspended. I’m sure they got the message and they’ll get the message to all our kids. It could happen again but buddy, they know what will happen if it does.”

More discipline could be handed down for those apparently tied to the fight with Phi Beta Sigma.

“I hope there is no more bad news so we can get the full team working out there,” Bowden said.

He added: “To me it makes a lot of difference of who attacked who.”

No comments: