Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2008

Lulu is a Grandmother - she looks way too young for that



We are on our way to London - Lulu is teaching a course at the FSU Center. When we bought the plane tickets - we were hoping that Jack would be born before we flew across the Atlantic. It took a lot of planning but we had scheduled a 3 day stopover in Syracuse "just in case." We were lucky - Jack followed the schedule and we got a chance to hold him while he was still little.

There is nothing more boring than someone telling you how perfect their grandchild is - so you won't here that from me. But you will hear from me about the great parents my son Drew and his wife Robin are going to be.

It was about 30 years ago when I held my own two sons like this. So many wonderful thoughts were going through my mind. Now - in reflection - it was even better than I thought. When I look at Jack - I see the wonderful future he is going to have and I see the face of Drew.

60 years ago - I was born to an anthracite coal miner in the hills of Pennsylvania and his housewife. We lived in a farmhouse without plumbing - I was born in the upstairs bedroom - on a freezing cold February night. The doctor arrived late at night in a horse drawn sled - I am not kidding. The roads were too icy for cars. The doctor rolled up his coat to make a pillow and he slept on the couch. By 5:00 AM - I was ready for a grand entry. Everything went well - and the doctor charged $15. Some people would say it was a bargain - others would say they got gyped.

Now - they have sonograms - birthing rooms - and all sorts of helpful inventions. In the old days babies were breast fed because it was a bargain.

We are enjoying this short visit - holding our grandson - it is still hard to use that term. Already - I feel the reality of being a grandfather 1000 miles away.

His name is Jack - named after his two great grandfathers. Jack Robinson - was at one time a minister in Tallahassee. Bobby Bowden told Lulu that Jack "saved" him. Jack also got a gold medal in the 1948 Olympics playing basketball. Jack Cox - Lulu's dad worked as a Tasty Kake delivery man. His claim to fame was only missing 2 days of work in 40 years - that included Saturdays and starting at 3 AM every day. I hope Jack is like them.

Jack's middle name is Robert - named after his grandfather a pathologist from Balitmore. Bob must have been pretty excited to be a grandfather - because he drove all the way from Baltimore to Syracuse to greet Jack on the first day.

The last name - Everhart - comes from me. This side of his family is not a illustrious. I was a middle school science teacher. My Dad was a coal miner - and his father tried many thing before joining the Merchant Marines and dying at sea at the hands of a German torpedo.

All of this stuff which pretty boring to anyone but me - Jack is here - and we are very very happy.

Tomorrow - June 24th. - we fly from Syracuse to Cincinnati - to London. Lulu and I will be celebrating our 37th. anniversary mostly on the plane. We will bridged between two wonderful adventures - meeting our first grandchild and Lulu teaching her first class abroad. We are all very blessed.

No comments: